The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting ready to order an SCT and was wondering what are some of the factors considered when writting a tune. Is elevation, major use of the truck (daily driver, towing, race), personal preference in shift stiffness, torque lock up, etc.

Just wondering how personalized these things be. Also what data is required from the truck prior to ordering the SCT tuner.

I understand that another SCT tuner will be comming out soon. Should I wait, I hate buying something only to find out that if I waited a couple months I could have had the latest and greatest version.

Used to have a Bully Dog Downloader in my old Crumblin Cummins (was falling apart a little bit at a time). How does the SCT compare in performance and ergonomics. No shift on the fly? is it back to the 20min down/upload each time I want to switch between performance options?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Who ever you order the Sct from should ask you certain questions as far as altitude, towing rates, gear ratios, tire size, current mods, etc. Thats what is great about customs tunes as you can get what you really want. Most tuners will send a blank SCT so you can pull your currant strategy so they will get the current pcm codes. Then they will email you the files. You can load a file in about the time it takes at a red light. I am not really sure on the new SCT, but its like everything else with technology, buy the new thing today and tomorrow is is old already.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the strategy? Is this information stored by the PCM based on current driving conditions and habits?

·
322 Posts
you can read the strategy with the Xcal2. its needed for the tunes to function properly. i guess its like a map of where information is stored in the pcm. you can also find the pcm code on your pcm and give it to the place you're getting your tunes from.

·
773 Posts
the stratagy is basically the factory tune

1 - 5 of 5 Posts