The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 93 7.3L runs flawlessly until it rains, then....

Tranny kicks into default mode (always)
Speedo and odometer die (sometimes)
radio light goes out (sometimes)

After running it for awhile, the problems go away. Something is obviously getting wet. Any ideas?

·
1,700 Posts
I would not relate the radio just yet, but since you mentioned rain, trans and speedo problems I would start with what you suspect might be getting wet.

First check the speed sensor and wiring on top of the rear diff. There could be water intrusion at the connector, the wiring could be rubbing on axle, shock tube or vent line etc... Also check the TR-MLP sensor on transmission, its the sensor where the shift linkage goes into the LH side of trans.

If nothing looks bad I would at least squirt some die-electric grease into the connector faces to protect the pins and possibly help provide a moisture barrier.

·
645 Posts
I read a TSB once that said something about a transmission wiring harness connector under the battery (I would think the driver side), The TSB had to do with the torque converter clutch burn up due to the connector being all corroded and damaged. I would get a wiring diagram and check all the connections from the PCM to the trans

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK..I checked the speed sensor and it looks good. I also don't see any connections under the battery boxes. I'm thinking that the problem is under the hood because if I just let the truck sit and idle for 1/2 hour, everything is fine. Any other suggestions?

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, now it's doing it all the time. I replaced the speed sensor on the differential and that seemed to make some difference but it's still slamming between 1st and 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. 3rd to OD isn't too bad. Downshifting is a nightmare. All wiring harnesses and plugs look ok. This tranny is a 3 month old factory-rebuild and this problem plagued me with the old tranny (before it blew up). To make things worse, I'm getting ready to pull my big-*** 5th wheel RV from Ohio to Florida next week. A mechanic recently suggested I look for a cam sensor problem. Do I even have a cam sensor, and could that be a possibility?

·
279 Posts
Check the bulk head connector on the fire wall. Check the TCM for signs of water damage. A leaky windshield will drip water inside the dash. Usually on the transmission brain box.

Being a 93 IDI. You don't get one of those cam sensor doohickeys.:D

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to trackspeeder, hayjayhorses and 4play for your responses. Trackspeeder, I will check out those items and if necessary, I'll sell a kidney and take it to a <sigh> Ford Dealership. Either way, I'll post the end results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts