The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gotta buddy with an 01 cummins and he has 150 horse sticks, quad xillarator box......and 95/150 FASS pump eliminated factory pump. when he turns the chip up and gets on it the engine cuts out. i think its too low FP from the pump and needs a tighter spring for it...its only putting out 16 psi right now. so need to know what the stock FP is supposed to be so he can shim accordingly! Thanks!

·
3,514 Posts
Ideal is 16psi at idle and 12psi at WOT. My guess would be that he's pulling it down too far when he gets on it. Does he have a gauge to see what its doing at full throttle?
Sean

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, yes...he does HAVE a FP gauge.....but hes slow and wants me to hook it up for him...LOL well, he called the place he bought it and they said it should be 16psi from the factory...and when the box is on level 0 theres no problems....level 1 a little, 2 little more, 3 pretty bad.....
so at first we thought somethin was wrong with the box, but ive been having some FP issues on my truck with similar syptoms, so i thought that may be the case with his since the higher the tuner level the more fuel its demanding and may be draining his lines causing the cutting out...

SO even though it should be putting out 16 psi with injectors and a programmer he could be dropping the FP too low and needs to get the gauge hooked up to confirm! and if this is happening, he needs to get some washers to shim the reg? and shim till the FP is at least above 12 psi at WOT...? what would be "too high" of a pressure at idle?

Thanks for the reply sstockton!

·
3,514 Posts
Yeah, 150hp sticks suck a lot of fuel for a 95gph pump. I'd hook that gauge up and make sure you aren't doing damage to the injection pump by drawing it too low.
Sean

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well supposedly the people that sold him the pump said that it was "big enough..." so..well does he need to shim the spring and up the FP to X psi? or get ride of it and get a 150 gph? im about to get an airdog for mine and he may get one too if he sells his for a bigger one...

got any idea of a max psi he can set it to or a min psi he doesnt want to get below for reference...?

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh ya, and with just 150 hp sticks should he be blowing much smoke? cuz it cleans up QUICK right now and same way even with the tuner and i told him he should be rolling out quite a bit with all that fuel....

·
3,514 Posts
He, shouldn't run it below about 7psi, after that you can start doing damage to the pump. And if he can he should get up around 12psi at WOT. I wouldn't go much above 20psi if you can avoid it. I don't think that the pressure is the issue here, I think its the volume of fuel. Before buying a larger pump, which may be the end result. He may want to look into a 1/2" line. The FASS only runs a 3/8" line. So by stepping up to a 1/2" line you will increase the volume of fuel which may help with the starving issue. That might not be enough to completely compensate for it though. However its worth a shot.

What turbo is he running? On a stock charge with 150hp injectors he should be smoking pretty heavy.
Sean

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hes on the stocker and only blows a little puff and then nothin! so he DEF doesnt have the fuel he needs...ill let him know all this! thanks for the useful info! ill try to help him get the FP gauge hooked up and see what happens...sounds to me though that hes going to need the big pump along with bigger lines...especially with a tuner...! just to make sure i got the #s right...

20 psi max
16psi ideal idle
12 psi try to stay above...
8 psi NO less than!

Thanks sean!

Darin

oh ya, and if he does step up pump size....the 150 be enough or should be go the bigger?

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey, too...will that pump work on a 12V? we also have a mutual friend with a 96 12V that just put marine injectors on it and was going to upgrade his pump...so if the fass would work on that, he could sell it and getta new one..

·
57 Posts
I have to chime in sorry. Mine is doing the same thing. Kinda a jerking, missing type of thing hard to explain. I was going to send my juice back to edge because I think it is causing this. As soon as you go from level 0 to 1 it does it. Thats holding the trottle at the same position. I didnt think that would be that much more fuel needed. The fuel pressure doesnt even change. I do have a fuel gauge and It doesnt go below 8 psi at wot and thats on level 6 and thats the strange thing it doesnt seem to do it on that level at any trottle position. Normaly it idles at 16 to 18 and normal driving say 65mph its about 14 to 15. I have a Bd lift pump. What is this shimming that you speak of. Can I do this to the Bd pump to get more pressure. I kinda think that it is a volume problem like sstockon said. What kinda line should I add, Where do you get it. Is it flexable does it go inside the tank or does it start right outside the tank. Help please this is such a Pain in the a**.

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, so is it 10 or 16 psi optimal...? and 7 was standard for the minimal....and im guessing that this is just for the lift pump.....what about the injection pump? how much psi is that supposed to be putting out? and should we check the psi coming out of it too or is the factory enough to put out enough fuel he needs with his mods if it has enough lift pump pressure/volume....?

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey springer...its fine man...i really do think his pump isnt flowing enough tho because like sean said earlier, he should be putting out smoke with just the big sticks and tuner on level 0 and hes not, and the tuner on at all requires just enough more to totally drain the lines i guess....and i would think that 8 is getting low enough to make a difference since you dont want to be below 7..?

and all the shim is, is theres a spring inside the regulator on the pump with a ball, etc. this allows so much FP, etc. i am told you are supposed to use aircraft grade ? washers you can find at most performance shops and just stick it in there to make the spring tighter to make more pressure in the line.....same concept as if you were to turn the water on through a garden hose with no nozzle, then stick your finger over the hole....more pressure on the line and makes the water go further....

·
32 Posts
FASS sells an upgrade kit for the overflow spring(a heavier spring) and for the pickup tube in the tank(1/2" line vs the stock 3/8")

·
57 Posts
Do you know how thick the washer is supossed to be. Can you get this bigger fuel line at a local autoparts store. It sounds pretty easy to install. The only thing I dont know is what you do at the pump end. I just dont get why mine will run really good on level 6. I mean it doesnt miss a beat. I was actually playing around with 0-60 times and it was doing like 6.8seconds. If you run it on the highway at cruising speed even with the cruise set and it starts to go up an incline and it starts to feed a little fuel to maintain speed it starts to miss or surge. I'm not sure if it maybe a trottle position thing:shrug:

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i dont know enough about cummins to help much i dont think, but the fuel line you could prolly get at auto store, just make sure you get the right thing....and i would go ahead and price from fass or whoever first that way you dont have to do any guessing if the price is reasonable....and on the washer, ive been told most specialty performance shops will carry them or maybe summit racing? and also not sure if theres "set" washer thicknessess for different pressure, although they might be rated...if not you will just have to shim and then check your pressure and go from there...

·
113 Posts
my dad 110hp sticks by there self just makes little smoke. the juice on it smoke pretty good. the turbo that he running is the smallest htt 57 with a 14 housing. he is running a fass 95 and has no issues with fuel pressure an he is only running 3/8 from the tank all the to the pump. lowest he get on fuel pressure is 10 and it only idles at 14. last time we dyno it did 435hp 963 torque

·
3,514 Posts
Springer, the issue you're experiencing sounds more like a box issue. If you are starving it, it should get worse as you crank the levels up, and it should really only occur under heavy or full throttle. As for the 1/2" line, I would run one the full length to the injection pump. And also install a 1/2" in tank pick up. A Vulcan draw straw would work nicely. Essentially you want to upgrade it all, or you really aren't going to benefit much if you're choking it up in one spot or another. However, it will probably pull more through the pick up than it will output for pressure reasons and it just returns it to the tank.

6L- that 10 or 16 being optimal question. 16 is optimal 10 is minimal at idle. 7 is minimal under load. And you don't have to worry about the drop across the filter because he bypassed that system. But that does bring to mind the filters. How long has this system been on? I switched to bio d in my truck for a while, and that stuff cleared all the junk out of my tank in a hurry, and I clogged my filters after about 2 tanks of it. With the clogged filters there was a noticable decrease in smoke, power, and sometimes a little starving action when I would get on it hard, and it would really suck my fuel press. down. Changed em out the next day and it all came back. Its surprising what fuel filters can do. Plus with all the dirty fuel out there, even these filters can clog fast. It may be worth a shot to just change the filters.
Sean

·
57 Posts
sstockton you are the man:bow: :bow:. I have a question about the fuel line. Where do I get it. Can I get it at the auto parts store. I quess what i'm asking is is there a special kind, like for regual gas. I dont want to put 1/2 inch line on and have the diesel eat it away or something like that. Where do you hook it up at the motor end. do you just hose clamp it with new fittings:shrug:

·
3,514 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts