The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to get a chip or a progamer for my 7.3. there is so many i dont no were to begin? looking for something that will not kill the tranny but still will be able to have the 100hp tune!

·
8,265 Posts
Its gonna be tough to find a 100hp program that won't put a strain on the tranny. At the minimum you may need to look at getting an upgraded valve body for the slush box.

As for what is best...that is a loaded question. Kinda like asking which is the best baseball team out there. LOL

The only "for sure" is that a custom burnt chip for your trucks base code will do much much better than an "off the shelf" tuner.

I prefer DP-Tuner. Others prefer TS, Innovative, Elite, etc. Your best bet would be to contact the individual tuner and speak to them about what you wish to accomplish with your truck. All of them offer good customer service.

·
7.3 addict
644 Posts
oh boy here it comes. You just opened a can o'worms. BTW my bullydog does just fine and i'll buy another for my other 2) 7.3s!

·
TwinStacks
184 Posts
jestersv lol :popcorn

·
6,337 Posts
Best... hummm

Beans Diesel is one of the best right now... Swamps... Power Hungry Performance... Gear Head Performance...

Elite... Diesel Inovations... Tony Wildman...

There are a few other trusted tuners out there, but thats a list of guys I would put on any one of my rigs.

·
459 Posts
my vote goes to DPtuner, BEans and the many others. They are all good at what they do

·
812 Posts
im very happy with my wildman, would love to try beans or gearhead someday.

·
78 Posts
it all depends i run dp tuner. the good ones are the the one that plug straight into the pcm. so T.S. Beans Swamps DP

·
459 Posts
Too tell u the truth, All the Tuners are one of the best. I dont think there is really one tuner who stands out that much more than the others. U just need to call of the various tuners and talk to them and tell them what u want and go with whoever makes u feel good about it.

·
442 Posts
DP tuner dosent sponsor this Forum for nothing. Thats my pick. Could not believe the difference between them and my TS.

·
121 Posts
As can be seen in this graph... http://ernesteugene.com/PSD/Stock_VFF2.jpg ...even with a stock tune the stock injectors are already running at almost 60% of their maximum stroke volume and this text... http://ernesteugene.com/PSD/InjTime.jpg ...discusses some of the issues involved with trying to increase the FWHP too much by holding the injectors open longer to work them at closer to 100% of their maximum stroke volume.

At 2400 RPM the stock tune gives a FWHP=240 hp with a fuel flow of VFF=12.573 gph which requires a VFF%=59% and increasing the fuel flow to VFF=16.0 gph at 2400 RPM gives a FWHP=315 hp which is a 75 hp increase but now the VFF%=75.1% and I think any values higher than this begin to compromise the injection timing and run into the issues discussed in the referenced text!

Also with this 75 FWHP increase at 2400 RPM the EGT increases from its stock value of EGT=1017*F to a value of EGT=1223*F which is about as high as you'd want to go for steady state operation!

I think the new DP F-8 chip is worth trying because it's user programmable via a USB connection from a laptop to the F-8 switch without removing the chip. Even if you don't feel up to building your own tunes I think Jody could just email you an attachment that you could install yourself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts