The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what year was the best power stroke made? im talking engine, tranny, interior, and exterior... the whole nine yards. And to go along with it what was the worst... the reason i ask this is cause im in the market for a power stroke and i really dont want a cliched system. Thanks for any info.

·
6,337 Posts
That's a loaded question...LOL

How much do you want to spend? 7.3? 6.0?

I really like the 05-06 trucks, the front ends are the best, the ride is the best...

Best tranny by far is the 5r100...

The motor... I ant touching that one!!! LOL

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
CSIPSD said:
That's a loaded question...LOL

The motor... I ant touching that one!!! LOL
That is because you know the truth but dont want to admit it :poke:

·
6,337 Posts
hhrecovery said:
That is because you know the truth but dont want to admit it :poke:

I dont want to admit mine doesnt puke? LOL :sly:

J/K I do like the 6.0 but the 7.3 has never not pulled a load for me.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
my 6.0 has always pulled
rob

·
Registered
388 Posts
A 05-06 with a good ol reliable 7.3 would be the best powerstroke:Thumbup:

·
6,337 Posts
hotrod said:
A 05-06 with a good ol reliable 7.3 would be the best powerstroke:Thumbup:

To bad we have to swap it in....LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL :poke:

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
My '05 Harley was promoted to a s-n-s truck only after Wayne and Jody's BIG Iowa turbo tour adventure. LOL :sofa

·
Obviously Intuitive !
1,417 Posts
just my experience...
I had an 02, 03, and now 05 Ex....

Liked em all (until the 02 broke twice) and they gave me the 03 as a replacement, and the 05 is MUCH better IMHO :)

·
79 Posts
IMO, my favorite trucks of all time are the '95-97 F350 crewcab long bed 4x4 automatic powerstrokes. not the most powerful compared to a 6.0, but all around VERY tough and reliable trucks, as well as good looking. I want to get one once my '05 is done and use it for my off-roading rig.

And since you asked about worst, I know it's not a "powerstroke", but IMO the 6.9 is the worst Ford diesel. I say that because I think all 7.3 turbo's and powerstrokes are great trucks, including the 6.0.

·
4,024 Posts
Sweiny said:
Just wondering what year was the best power stroke made? im talking engine, tranny, interior, and exterior... the whole nine yards. And to go along with it what was the worst... the reason i ask this is cause im in the market for a power stroke and i really dont want a cliched system. Thanks for any info.

Depends on what you want to do with it and to it. Tell us more about what your plans are and what you want to spend on a truck.:popcorn:

·
112 Posts
Late 99 to 2000 7.3 all the way, pulls like no tommorrow.

·
125 Posts
body 95-97
trans 5r100
motor 7.3
ride 2005
:sofa

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it doesnt really matter what the price is cause my sister works at a ford dealership so i get the nice family discount; so i pretty much get a great deal on any truck i want... but as far as what i want to put on it and use it for... i was thinking about jacking it up between three and six inches and put lil bigger tires on it. i was thinking about putting a chip in it and some other upgrades but really havent decided exactly yet. but as far as using it, its going to be my commuter and a lil bit of a work horse. mostly medium to light hauling.

·
1,921 Posts
Well if you want to do much modding then I'd go with a '99-'00 with forged rods. If you aren't going to be doing much to it then I'd go with an '03 with a 7.3. If you want to lift it then I'd stay earlier than '05 because of the solid axle will make the lifting much easier. I'd say '03-'04 6.0L are the worst. I'd stay far far away from any 6.0L.

·
1,581 Posts
'05+ still have solid axles, they just have coil springs.

I'd steer clear of early 6.0's (03-05) the later one's are a different animal.

But it depends on how much $$$ you want to throw at it.

If you're looking for a stock, reliable truck and aren't going to mod it, any of them will be fine.
If you're looking for a truck that's cheap to build lotsa power (+400hp) you're gonna need a 6.0.
If you're going to tear it down and build it from the ground up, it doesn't matter.

·
1,854 Posts
jd87 said:
IMO, my favorite trucks of all time are the '95-97 F350 crewcab long bed 4x4 automatic powerstrokes
:agreed: :whs :iagree

·
6,337 Posts
Nothing wrong with any of the turbos... The 99.5 to 03's have surge issues when you start moding them. The 03 and up have issues with sticking vanes sometimes... These are all things that every brand has to deal with. If your looking at lifting it, I feel the 05's are the best bet, a little more money to start, but sooooooo much smother ride when done!!!

·
1,921 Posts
444turbodiesel said:
'05+ still have solid axles, they just have coil springs.
Sorry my bad. I meant they are leaf spring front ends so they are a little easier to lift. But no the ride isn't as good. But honestly who are we kidding? We are talking about 3/4 and 1 ton trucks here!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts