The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from your experience for fuel milage, empty and towing?...

I have a friend w/ an '05 that would like to know. He took it to Ford for several turbos, EGR valves, coolers while it was still under warranty, and every time he got it back, his fuel mileage decreased from their mandatory software updates. He hauls a 3 axle camper trailer (non-5th wheel)and used to get around 20+ before hooking to the trailer. I think he is down to around 16mpg now and 9-10mpg w/ the trailer.

We are going to be doing head studs, CAI, exhaust, and EGR valve, cooler and throttle valve deletes.

Also we would like the ability to download upgrades online and be able to remove parameters for the EGR controls w/ the tuner if possible.

Thanks, Garett

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
SCT.. 20+ is very very very very unlikely with a 6Lempty even with a eco tune.

·
illadvised and dangerous
405 Posts
Ficm tuning might help some on mpgs. Php has a 03hybrid program they are using if you use the sct.. The sct or phalanx are the tuners to go with. The phalanx will do ficm tuning. I have heard other tuners can get more mpgs but at the risk of to much timing and cp. Those two factors will cause you to lose reliability.

·
356 Posts
You'll get answers to that question from all over the spectrum. There are so many infinite variables that go into mileage, ie: elevation, wind, right foot, fuel quality, filters, etc.... Any of the tuners with an economy tune are pretty much the best your gonna get. If you want better mileage, start thinking about the variables that are controllable.

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which SCT would you recommend?? X3?? or can you program EGR parameters out w/ the LiveWire...

BTW, you would think that my buddy's truck w/ naturally aspirated the way he drives (aka grandma style, kind of annoying sometimes). You never heard the turbo on his old 7.3L, you barely hear it on this truck.

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
Yes the X3(or sf3) is the way to go. the livewire is buddy and ugly but that same thing with some built in gauges. the sf3 comes with canned(sct ) tunes and can load 3 customs tunes as well.

Reactions: BlownGreenGP
1 - 9 of 9 Posts