The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today some buddies of mine and me where sittin in the bistro at college here (Penn State Beaver) and we where bored so what else is there to do at college but go muddin.... so we are out there and we where just messin around and i went through a hole pretty deep and the back end hit and broke the spare tire off it snapped the cable.....so i just though that that was something weird to break.....Also lost my stock wheel cap and bent the drivers side nerf bar a little hopefully dad wont see that when i go home this weekend.....but if anyone in the area knows where i can get a new cap and spare tire hanger before the weekend let me know please...

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
broke? my friend's explorer is minus a lift gate window, both of us have lost our rear views multiple times. I've managed to unplug my MAF sensore from my intake (no idea how) and a friend of mine lost his serpentine belt to his suburban (get stuck machine)

·
Registered
6 Posts
dropped intakevalve

I had the head of my intake valve melt off and wrecked the piston, scored the cylinder, and took my turbo out on the way out. 2 weeks with only a crappy gas truck to drive was the worst part lol

·
3,514 Posts
I snapped a retainer ring in my transfercase, the truck wouldn't shift out of 4 low, which kind of sucked. When I went in to fix it/rebuild the case, I ended up doing a lot of other stuff, and with my schedule it turned into a 4 month project. 4 months down kind of sucks, I've had it back for 2 months and its ready to go down again for some more tranny work and to put the twins on.
Sean

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Hmmm...

sorry to say my failure rate on my truck is rather nil... I've not broke anything really yet... But I wore a few things out...:woot:

·
85 Posts
I broke my face when I flipped a dirt bike over backwards at 55 mph. You can't take but one step at that speed. Oh, no helmet, talk about a *******!!

·
99 cummins
160 Posts
i have such a long list of broken parts, im sure i cant recall all of them. here's a few on my 78 chevy: 2 305ci motors, 2 350's, 1 400 small block, 2 sm 465 tranny's, 2 np 205 transfercases, 15 or so front corp 10 bolt axel shafts, 1 dana 60 front axel shaft, 1 14 bolt diff, 1 front drive shaft, 1 front drive shaft cv joint, 3 rear drive shaft u-joints, 3 front drive shaft u-joints, 7 or 8 front hubs, 1 gear box, 2 rear bumpers, 1 rear backglass (from a chain), 1 front bumper and many other various body parts.

So thats it for the chevy off the top of my head. lucky for me, i havent broke as much stuff on the dodge yet.

·
85 Posts
I had a jeep wrangler about two years ago that I trail rode and street drove all the time. For running gear it had toyota axles and the motor was a 469 pontiac with aluminum heads and a solid roller cam. I think in the two years I had it put together it had 2 transmissions,3 different transfer cases, 1 front set of gears and an even one dozen rearend gear sets.
When I took the motor apart to freshen it the rod caps wouldn't go back on the rods. It was real close to blowing. It was a real fun ride with a few brewsky's in ya. I think I rolled it on it's top or side 6 times.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow u all have me beat which in a way is a good thing...lol

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
i thought i had almost broke my transmission after a leak had leaked plenty of fluid out while i was on a trail (then parked to shoot) got in truck and drove, got 2 miles back from the trail onto the pavement, and sure enough felt like i had killed it, thanks to the low fluid level. ended up being fluid change, filter change, and replaced the lines, and it works again.

other than that cant say ive broke anything on this truck yet, though some d-bag broke some paint on my bed by throwing a beer bottle at my truck.

·
706 Posts
I broke my right rear factory aluminum wheel. It cracked at the inside bead.I wouldnt have knwon exc it was losing about 10 psi of air a week,I was thinking i caught a screw in the tire,but it wasnt that easy. Ill see if i can dig up the pic i took later on of it.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I actually broke off a mudflap not too long ago, I think i hit some lumber in the field were I was mudding, sure it's not too uncommon but I never thought it woudl happen

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Well, one time I cracked the bead on a combine. My shotgun created an instant sunroof when I slammed the door on our fire-fighter pickup ('75 chev). And I bent the $#&% out of a fan when I went to start my first pickup ('87 chev) and the cat had decided it was a good place to rest next to the radiator.

·
85 Posts
My brother-in-law started his truck on cold day and we heard this god awful screaming from the engine. We new what had happened and hated to open the hood. When we did somehow the cat had flattened hisself between the fan and the radiator. Just had some scraps where the blade talked to him. Talk about lucky!

·
Boost Junkie
318 Posts
Track Bar Bolt snapped on me driving down a two lane highway and i ran 4 cars off the road. That surprised me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 1990 jeep cherokee and 2 years ago it blew on the interstate at 80 mph the #3 cylinder locked up and when we pulled the engine we took it apart the piston had almost shattered and it was actually in the cylinder sideways. Also I have a 78 ford that I run in mud drags and last year the transmission linkage fell off in the mud so we tore apart the sun visor and used the metal bar to shift the truck so I could finish racing.

Now the jeep is runnin strong with a 2001 engine and the ford is just sitting and waiting for the next season to start.

·
3,514 Posts
John DiMartino said:
I broke my right rear factory aluminum wheel. It cracked at the inside bead.I wouldnt have knwon exc it was losing about 10 psi of air a week,I was thinking i caught a screw in the tire,but it wasnt that easy. Ill see if i can dig up the pic i took later on of it.
Yeah, I did that one too. Except the front right wheel. But it was on the inside bead. I have no idea how I did it, but I knew it cause the tire would go completely flat in about 3 hours.

Speaking of shattering pistons, I did that in my YZ back when I was racing dirtbikes. Fried the bottom end and the piston slapped into the crack and pieces went everywhere. Including getting stuck between the piston and the cylinder. That sudden stop from 9-10,000rpm does wonders on other bearings too. everything looked pretty nasty inside there.
Sean

1 - 20 of 30 Posts