The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a truck: 1997 f250hd crew powerstroke, auto, 4wd, xlt.

Its got a tuner chip of some sort. Has a 3 position toggle switch under the dash. The original owner told me that the truck had to be turned off before switching it. I tested it on the way home going over Vail and Loveland passes. It absolutely makes a difference. The owner did not have any documentation or other information other than the 3rd position offered something like 90-100 more HP. He said it changed fuel maps. If it werent for the low HD gearing, I would have been able to pull 90mph over the passes. Seriously, with the switch on, the only limiting factor was the redline rpm. I just did not want to push too hard. 70mph at around 2300rpm.

Anyway, it looks like its been in there for a while. The truck is in great shape, but shows its age, and no signs that the dash has been torn apart recently. The rest of the mods on the truck were done when it was newer, such as the hitch bumper, camper shell. Its a genuine 1 owner truck, with seemingly older mods.

Any ideas as to what kind of chip or tuner it might be? Any way I can figure it out without tearing apart the dash?

Thanks!

·
7.3 addict
644 Posts
Look under the dash at the pcm in driver side foot well behind the parking brake you might be able to see which chip it is.If it is plugged in to the pcm it should be a change on the fly. My guess is its prob set for something like pos1 stock pos 2 60-80hp econo and 100-120 hp performance seem to be common setting. Unless its is custom tunes than who knows.BTW does it have a pyrometer that will be a more limiting factor than the red line.

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O/K, so I ended up tearing the dash apart anyway... Was needing to remove the factory tape player and cd changer. I did find the chip. It says "DIABLO" all over it. I did not remove anything further, so could not get a serial or part number. I just found the cable running from the toggle switch, and traced it to the chip.

Initially I looked behind the brake pedal,, but just did not look deep enough!

So, any thoughts on this tuner chip? In the meantime, I will google it..

Oh, and by the way, no pyrometer or other gauges yet. I plan to add the 3 gauges(boost-exhaust temp- trans temp),+ intake and exhaust systems. Right now the truck has only the tuner chip, and it runs very strong. I can only imagine how it will run with a clean cold air intake and 4" exhaust..

·
7.3 addict
644 Posts
I'd stay away for the high power setting untill you get the pyrometer that will heat up fast without an exhaust and intake look for the 6637 filter mod.

Reactions: ofg
1 - 4 of 4 Posts