The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to do some upgrades in the next month or two and I plan on dropping around 5 grand or so. I'll be having the work done by Nor Cal so I need to factor in labor cost. I'm thinking possibly headstuds and injectors...also would most recommend having the heads fire ringed with the cooler lines? I'm not considering a tranny yet because I plan on having John Woods rebuild it next year, still shifting good. Any sugggestion would be appreciated.

One other question about fuel pumps- I have DJ's intensifier set at 60 and during hard acceleration it drops about 15 and starts to slowly make it's way back to 60. I've just changed all my fuel filter and now I'm thinking my stock fuel pump is getting the job done... what do you guys think? Should I just order a Fass fuel 150/180 and be done with it?

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
get the FASS and do the trans sooner rather than later.

also, have you spoke with john woods? last i heard he was swapping 4r100s in and ditching the 5r110s.

Garrett

·
vendor supporter
700 Posts
I would do arp head studs with stock gaskets. fire rings are not worth it. A set of injectors with a new fuel pump. and an upgraded vgt turbo like beans 65mm. that will put you around 5 grand and over 500 hp on fuel only plus the :nitrous: . but you will end up doing the tranny before next year as it will not hold up trust me.

Jason

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
blowin smoke said:
I would do arp head studs with stock gaskets. fire rings are not worth it. A set of injectors with a new fuel pump. and an upgraded vgt turbo like beans 65mm. that will put you around 5 grand and over 500 hp on fuel only plus the :nitrous: . but you will end up doing the tranny before next year as it will not hold up trust me.

Jason
It seems that I will definitely be getting injectors since I'm blowing white smoke during cold starts. What size injectors would you recommend? I'm thinking 175cc injectors since I tow a 6200 pound boat during summer. I would like to get down into the 12's with fuel only.

·
Registered
41 Posts
:( i wish i had that much money to spend...i'm jealous

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's the expected amount for labor on headstuds? Stock gaskets are the best thing to use...or are there better aftermarket ones?

·
I Wanna Go Fast!
4,006 Posts
Well i was told that the rings will actually blow out. Dont know but i will be going with stock gaskets. I had a guy show them to me and explain what happens when they leak and i dont think the firerings are a wise choice. The main problem is the heads stretching, thats the point of studs. the gaskets will seal if held down properly. As for price no idea.

·
vendor supporter
700 Posts
I had a fire ring blow out. arp studs and stock gaskets will run around 2 grand installed.to get in to the 12's on fuel only you should go with 190's. towing will be fine as long as you run a proper tune for towing.

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
i think the 190's may be a tad hot for towing purposes..
as far as fire rings, IF you are going to do it, the MOST secure way is to do the block and heads both.. and yes there are aftermarket HG (hypermax)that you can use, however the stock HG is more forgiving should anything happen, and i am using stock HG w/my ARP's.

as far as FASS , yeah, i went with 150/180 but you will want to do some mods to the fass to get it to work properly.. you can see in some of my other posts i've shown all the mods we did to make it work better.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I end up going with the 190's what is the down side to towing? LVtitan, what do you mean by a tad hot - high EGT's?

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
well i can tell you that i can see over 1500degrees pretty quickly , and cruising down the highway is usually about 900 degrees, and anytime i wanna pass someone , or i'm pulling a steep grade it will be quickly in the red zone.. i am going with a nonvgt turbo so hopefully this will be a problem of the past, since the stock vgt chokepoint is a major reason for the high egt's we see, but i can tell you that i REALLY have to pay attention to my pyro since putting these sticks in

·
778 Posts
Nor Cal is gonna build it? Where are you located? Are you talking about Lil' Nic at norcaltruck.com? If so, he's an authorized dealer for elite and even though elite charges big bucks for their injectors he may be able to work a price out. just speculation.

·
778 Posts
bassn_07 said:
I'm looking to do some upgrades in the next month or two and I plan on dropping around 5 grand or so. I'll be having the work done by Nor Cal so I need to factor in labor cost. I'm thinking possibly headstuds and injectors...also would most recommend having the heads fire ringed with the cooler lines? I'm not considering a tranny yet because I plan on having John Woods rebuild it next year, still shifting good. Any sugggestion would be appreciated.

One other question about fuel pumps- I have DJ's intensifier set at 60 and during hard acceleration it drops about 15 and starts to slowly make it's way back to 60. I've just changed all my fuel filter and now I'm thinking my stock fuel pump is getting the job done... what do you guys think? Should I just order a Fass fuel 150/180 and be done with it?
If you get any size aftermarket injectors you should replace the pump. just learned this today.

·
778 Posts
bassn_07 said:
It seems that I will definitely be getting injectors since I'm blowing white smoke during cold starts. What size injectors would you recommend? I'm thinking 175cc injectors since I tow a 6200 pound boat during summer. I would like to get down into the 12's with fuel only.
the white smoke may be normal depending on what tune you're running. Does the smoke smell like sour diesel...that's what mine smells like on cold mornings. IMO, unless you plan on getting a bigger turbo 175's should be sufficient considering you will get hot like lvtitan said with 190's. But if you plan on getting a new turbo then definitely go with the 190's. If I had 190's with a stock turbo I'd have a tune written to adjust the fuel and trans and add no power for towing. Man 5k would be nice to have.

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
darsey715 said:
If you get any size aftermarket injectors you should replace the pump. just learned this today.
yes for sure, or at the MINIMUM get a fuel pressure gauge !! it seems that even with stock sticks, some tunes can actually drop the fuel pressure when using stock fuel pump, and w/ big sticks the stocker doesn't stand a chance.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, looks like my plan changed. I'm 95% sure I'll be buying a new 2008 SLT CC 4X4 standard bed LMM Duramax. My wife told me I should just buy a new truck and I'm not willing to purchase a 6.4 so it looks like it'll be a Duramx.

I have several things for sale if anyone is interested.

1. Spearco intercooler (will pull out of truck before trade in)
2. SCT 2 (custom tunes from ID, DJ, and Dfuser)
3. Nitrous kit NXD 2002 with automatic bottle opener (brand new)
4. 4.10,s (Brand new, purchased from SoGrand)
5. AfE Stage 2 with pro guard7 and dry filter

·
always looking for more
419 Posts
What do you want for the Spearco? It would have to be shipped to 52772. Thanks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just call me fickle. I had a change of heart after finding someone to do all my mods for a really good price. I'm going to need to purchase a turbo, fass pump, 190cc injectors, and ARP studs. I will also be installing my nitrous kit and all other items laying on my garage floor. This will be happening at the end of this month. I will update once everything is done.

·
778 Posts
where ya gonna do it? I'm assuming not norcaltruck. I'm interested in knowing so I could have somewhere to take my truck once out of warranty.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts