The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mods I have now are, Magnaflow 4" turbo back, S&B intake, DP tuner F5 60tow-80econ-120. I want to get the best MPG I can, hopeing for 20 hwy. Whatever HP/TQ gains at 20 mpg would be great. I read alot about Injectors, fuel system mods, and turbo upgrades. Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Tim

·
I be Architect'n
351 Posts
That's about it for MPG gains. Injector, fuel, oil and turbo upgrades are primarily for HP gains. I have everything you have, plus a little more and I can get 20 mpg all day on the interstate @ 72mph.

Make sure fuel and air filters are clean, and maybe switch all your fluids over to synthetic. 203* T-stat too. Might net another 1 mpg if your lucky.

Keep the RPM's under 2k, keep your tires inflated and drive like there is an egg under the gas peddle.

·
1,726 Posts
It is possible to see gains in fuel economy by switching to a single shot injector. The stock injectors in your 02 are split shots. Splits use more HPO and do not make as much HP for the same size injector. The downfall of changing to single shot injectors is that there will be a little bit more injector (engine) noise.

If you are going 100% for fuel economy you would see the best gains from a set of injectors (160 cc's or so) with some slightly honed nozzels. You can see MPG gains from honed nozzels also due to the injectors being perfectly ballanced on fule out put. Gains from honed nozzels will probably be very slight and have a good chance of making the MPG go down due to how fun it is to drive :sly:

I would probably reccomend stage 1's (stock nozzels), or a brand new set of AC code injectors if you are only wanting MPG gains. Keep in mind that you are only really looking at 1 MPG gain. Maybe 2 if you are lucky.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what is the best MPG I am looking to get? I keep hearing crazy numbers like 23, 24 and even 26 mpg, but man that seems high!! I can't seem to get anything close to that. With the mods I have the best I am looking at is 15 mpg, Now I havn't calculated it since I put the chip in, but by looking at how many miles I have on this tank of fuel and what the guage looks like it will be around there, I have a long trip comming soon so I will see what I get on the hwy. If I could get 22-23 that would be great , but seema to be a dream so far. Oh, how often do you clean your air filters? I went about 10,000 miles and it looked like it needed a cleaning so I did it then. I don't drive much gravel so I was looking at every other oil change.

Tim

·
6,337 Posts
Pipe dream... You will never see more then 18mpg out of an X unless you strip the interior, put on a set of 225 pizza cutters, slam it to the ground and drive it like a grandma... You might see 20-22 that way... MIGHT...

·
Riding solow on the Hog
286 Posts
CSIPSD said:
Pipe dream... You will never see more then 18mpg out of an X unless you strip the interior, put on a set of 225 pizza cutters, slam it to the ground and drive it like a grandma... You might see 20-22 that way... MIGHT...
That mental picture initiates my gag reflex....

·
6,337 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My kids would love me, my wife would shoot me in the face!!:mafia Dang, I hope I can get better than 18 mpg on the hwy anyway, now if you mean 18 mpg city I would be very happy with that.

Tim

·
I be Architect'n
351 Posts
I have never gotten better than 20 mpg with my X at highway speeds. Maybe around 13-15 city driving on a good day. This is why I went the SVO route w/ my diesels.

Last tank netted 64.3 mpg of petrol, of course I still only managed 18 mpg of veg. oil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts