The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's a problem with my truck/tuner.

I have an F250 ridding on 37s with 3.73 r&p's.

What is the factory (lie-o-meter) MPG reading stating for any of you running this combo and the Spartan 210 and 250 tunes?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

·
15 Posts
I am not sure going by the "lie o meter" and comparing with other trucks is going to give you any accurate readings to go off of becuase they can vary by so much from truck to truck and actual mileage to what the truck tells you. You need to have hand calculated mpg's.

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
though I appreciate your response I still would like to see what other trucks are reading. Mine is drastically different from what it used to be, equal in less power and actual mileage per tank.

·
Green Goose No Juice
160 Posts
Well what is it reading? What size was your stock tires?

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was reading around 18 to 19 constant on the hwy with the old 210 tune on 95% 37in tires.

On the 250 tune and 20% 37in tires it will give me 16 if I baby the truck.

I seem to only be getting about 400 miles to a 30gal tank where as before it was much better.

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
It was reading around 18 to 19 constant on the hwy with the old 210 tune on 95% 37in tires.

On the 250 tune and 20% 37in tires it will give me 16 if I baby the truck.

I seem to only be getting about 400 miles to a 30gal tank where as before it was much better.
My question for you is this.....are your tunes corrected for the tire size?

Also, if you went to a 37" tire and it was reading 18 to 19 mpg at 95% tread then the truck was probably not use to the new, bigger tires. Now that you have 20% tread left, you obviously have had the tires awhile, and now the computer in your truck has adjusted to the bigger tires. My guess is that you went from a 33-34" stock tire to a 37" tire.....which is a much bigger jump than you think.

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stroker, your just not making any sense......

Its a conspiracy between my truck, tires, and tunes. I get it. Mutiny!

I had the tires a good while before any tuning.

I know what 37 minus 34 relates to in dog years.

And that last line made no sense.

But I know that I can and should be getting far more out of a tank of fuel.

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
Actually my post makes perfect sense. You didn't answer my question. Are your tunes corrected for the difference in tire size? You can't go from a stock tire to a 37" tire and expect your spedometer and odometer to be accurate. It throws everything off and makes your fuel mileage calculations pointless.

·
2,183 Posts
Stroker, your just not making any sense......

Its a conspiracy between my truck, tires, and tunes. I get it. Mutiny!

I had the tires a good while before any tuning.

I know what 37 minus 34 relates to in dog years.

And that last line made no sense.

But I know that I can and should be getting far more out of a tank of fuel.
did you reset the mpg after you put the new tires on. If not then the reason it's gone down is because it has averaged all your crappy mileage with the 37s in with the good mileage you had with the smaller tires.

I have 37s and running the 275 it'll stay around 15.5-16 on the liometer.

I'm pretty sure you just didn't reset the counter. with the 210 yoru liometer will probably be reading around 12 or 13 and with the 250 i would say 14 or 15

·
Green Goose No Juice
160 Posts
did you reset the mpg after you put the new tires on. If not then the reason it's gone down is because it has averaged all your crappy mileage with the 37s in with the good mileage you had with the smaller tires.

I have 37s and running the 275 it'll stay around 15.5-16 on the liometer.

If your speedo isnt corrected that should equal 16.8175-17.36 with the 37" tires..

I'm pretty sure you just didn't reset the counter. with the 210 yoru liometer will probably be reading around 12 or 13 and with the 250 i would say 14 or 15
Maybe this helps

·
Green Goose No Juice
160 Posts
If you fill your truck up all the way to the top, average 17 mpg and run it slam dry you should get 544 out of that tank.. I have ran mine to 0 miles to empty and only got like 28.XX gallons in it.. I think that is a kind of safety feature.. Instead of waiting for you to actually only have 50 miles to empty you pretty much have 100ish miles to empty so you will be looking for a fuel station and not run completely out..

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ShoottheJ, I reset the mpg counter all the time, thanks though.

Stroker, I sure would hope that my tunes are for my tire size. If they were not then the last time Spartan cranked out some new tunes after a PCM change they weren't formatted properly.

Here is the deal..

I had the 37s before the tune. I put on the tune and it ran great. :woot: Best I've seen. Then reluctant to diagnose and fix my high pressure fuel pump one shop replaced PCM. Then I started having new tunes made, took truck to better shop, had HPFP replaced, loaded new tunes. Was not happy..:mad:

Converted back to stock and dropped truck back off, the dealer found nothing wrong..:bdh

Retuned until a couple months ago had two injectors replaced.

Tuned again, yet doesn't pull my trailer like it used to. It pulls worse now with the 250 than it used to with the 210.

With my factory odometer I take my miles and with every 10 I add 1. 100 = 110, 200 = 220 and so on. GPS'ed

I always get near 0 miles to empty with anywhere from a 350 to a 400 reading then I do the math recalculating 385 to 440. It's been sooooooo long now but I remember getting over 500 to a tank when the truck was running better. Obviously..

Now I'm in the middle of a Louisiana to Arizona trip and a few more miles per tank sure would be nice.

And second to my truck running not as good as it used to is the fact that I was advised by Matt at Spartan a year and a half ago to send him some readings, then Mick said the same, and I have sent, and sent, and asked Mick why no response, and replied with still no response. I'm aggravated, but North Carolinas too damn far to shove my complaint form right up their box.

So in the end I guess I deal with it. And If I'm wrong and it is running optimally, then at least the programmERS could do their part like they said they would.

I do appreciate the help.....

Josh

·
Green Goose No Juice
160 Posts
I assumed you were running 275/65r20s and now your running 37s so that is a 8.5% increase so if you will take your miles you get, multiply it by .085 and then add that back to the miles that should be pretty close to dead on

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont know. When I hooked up with spartan back in May-June of 2008 all my details were divulged. I just logged onto their site and its in my information.

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
I dont know. When I hooked up with spartan back in May-June of 2008 all my details were divulged. I just logged onto their site and its in my information.
If you didn't pay for tire size adjustment, which you obviously did not, then your speedo and odometer are off. That completely skews any information that you have posted on here. You can't accurately hand calculate fuel mileage when your odometer is off. You say 400 miles to the tank.....I would bet it is quite a bit more than that. Your odometer is still reading off of whatever your stock tire height was.

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh man, either you cant read, or you missed something.

I'll try not to get out of line cause I'm looking for suggestions.

I know my speedo is off. Of course its off!
But I have proved and STATED the corrections and the figures in which I quote.

When I say I squeezed 440 miles out of tank it was filled to the top, run to the bottom, and the odometer actually read 400.

And for over a year now the truck's odometer has rarely gotten to 400.

And what are you talking about in corrected tunes, I'd like to hear about these odometer adjusting tunes from Spartan...

·
259 Posts
Did 2400 miles of highway driving and got 18.2 hand calced off the receipts. 37-13.5-22 kuhmo's on American force super singles. Running Rcd 585 tune. Lie-o-meter said 22-26mpg

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
Oh man, either you cant read, or you missed something.

I'll try not to get out of line cause I'm looking for suggestions.

I know my speedo is off. Of course its off!
But I have proved and STATED the corrections and the figures in which I quote.

When I say I squeezed 440 miles out of tank it was filled to the top, run to the bottom, and the odometer actually read 400.

And for over a year now the truck's odometer has rarely gotten to 400.

And what are you talking about in corrected tunes, I'd like to hear about these odometer adjusting tunes from Spartan...
You can pay $100 for 3 custom tunes for your tire size....

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did 2400 miles of highway driving and got 18.2 hand calced off the receipts. 37-13.5-22 kuhmo's on American force super singles. Running Rcd 585 tune. Lie-o-meter said 22-26mpg
Man that is awesome, and what I've been looking for. Though once close, I've never seen my lie-0-meter read that high, except once it read 99 just after I reset it and decelerating down hill.

I just drove from Louisiana to Arizona, all the way down I-10 and was wishing I could put out those kind of numbers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts