The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What oil is everyone running in their ATVs? We just bought an 03 Polaris Trailblazer 250 and an 03 Honda Rubicon yeseterday. I want to change the oils in both of them shortly.

Thanks

·
4,318 Posts
Most ATV's and Motorcycles share the engine oil with the transmission. So they require a special oil, not just a oil rated for car engines. If I dont use the factory oil, I run valvoline ATV/Motorcycle oil. Easy to find at autozone.

My rincon, I have strayed, and I run rotella 5w40 diesel oil in it. It runs a lot smoother, and the torque converter does not chirp from lack of oil at cold starts anymore...

·
2,691 Posts
I ran Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oil in my Grizz.
Like was stated earlier, if you have a wet clutch you need to choose the proper oil.

·
HOSS PERFORMANCE
248 Posts
i would go with the amsoil, valvoline or honda gn4 on the rubicon and i am not sure in the polaris- they do some kind of green oil or something, i only know one guy that has a polaris and he uses only polaris oil.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I use the 0-40 AMSOIL, it's great, my 2005 KQ loves it. I noticed an immediate increase in power, and believe me, I'm skeptical, but it did, made it smoother and start easier. I think it's good stuff.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I run mobil1 15-50 fully syn in my 4 stroke. 10-30 conventional valvoline in the gearbox on my cr. I ran amsoil in my cr500 once and it made the clutches start slipping pretty much immediately.

·
Registered
6 Posts
if your polaris is a 2 stroke dont use regular oil use the polaris brand it is fairly priced and good oil

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
I have a artic cat 250 and I have to buy special artic cat oil for it.

·
In the passing lane
1,195 Posts
I use valvoline atv in my 04 recon. Its cheap and I have noticed a difference horsepower wise. You can find it at Autozone back by the oil on it own little rack. Its like 3 buck a quart. Hope I have shead some light on your problem.

·
Registered
325 Posts
94 honda 300 4x4 fourtrax

i use the same rotella 15w40 dino as i put in the truck... this thing has been through heck, i can't describe how hard i have road this thing or how much and it still starts and runs good, i wish it had a odometer or a hour meter because it has to be a insane number

i did have to rebuild the motor in about 98 though but that was due to it being submerged in a pond

i also had a honda 250x i used the same oil in

1 - 12 of 12 Posts