The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last time I had my oil, oil filter and fuel filter changed was about 3100 miles ago. By the dodge dealer ($110) How often do you guys change yours? What oil and filters (brands) do you suggest? Heard anything about the new Rotella Synthetic?

About 3 weeks ago I added the holley blue should I change my fuel filter again this time and if so what brand filter do I use?

·
Registered
51 Posts
i use NAPA filters they are made by WIX. stay away from FRAM. the guy i bought mine from said that fram filter can clog the piston squirters. i cut a fram apart and then a napa and the difference in quality is awsome. i just changed my fuel filter it had 14000 on it. thats too much. there was a lot of dirt at the botton of the bowl. i had to drain the entire bowl to clean it out. i use NAPA oil also. its made by valvoline. i don't know if a different oil would be alot better or not. its just what i'm used to using.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The oil thing will vary depending on who you ask, everyone has a personal opinion.

I like Amsoil synthetics. I use their air filter, oil filter, motor oil, gear oil, trans fluid. Then i run a wix fuel filter because they are better than most others.

I think that cummins recomends running 8,000 on a conventional oil change. I usually run 5-6,000 on conventional Rotella. I haven't heard anything about the Rotella synthetic, but their stuff quality.

On your fuel filter, when you put an aftermarket pump on you will notice that they suck alot more of the crud out of the bottom of the tank. Because of this, its prolly a good idea to change the fuel filter when you notice your fuel pressure dropping about 2psi. It shouldn't take as long as it usually does to stop up a filter which. Make sure you always use a quality fuel filter.

And service your truck yourself, i have heard and seen where a service station doesn't tighten the oil filter all the way, besides they are making alot of money off of you.

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I had the dealership do it it was the first time I have ever sent any of my vehicles to a shop for anything, it was just because it had to be done and I didn't have time to do it.

Where do you get the Amsoil stuff?

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts

·
112 Posts
Amsoil:Thumbup:

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Engine Filters:
Fleetgaurd Everything or Case IH(same thing)
Change your fuel filter just as often as your oil if not sooner.

Oil:Amsoil

Trany Oil:
Depends on the condition and what's in it. If you get it all stock, use the cheap oil. If you got it modded where it'll last longer use sythetic Amsoil or Mobil 1. If I ever take out my 6speed and put a Automatic in it, I'll be using Amsoil. No Brainer.

Trany Filter:
Fleetguard

I've had good luck with Amsoil, but we all have our own opinion.

EDIT: Stay far, far, far away from FRAM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts