The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found an 01 2500 extra cab long bed manual transmission it has 147k on it very good shape looks almost new guy has all the service records wat problems do these trucks have that i need to look for and he only wants $12,000 for it thanks for the help !!!

·
1,055 Posts
Front end track bar, lift pump, injector pump, these are the big ones. A fuel pressure gauge will give you an idea of the shape the i/p and l/p are in

·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i plan on replacing the injection pump and lift pump with performance units the truck has power everything and its at a dealer not a private seller so i figured that that is a really good deal

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
Well I would look for anything and everything to knock a little off the price... Anyhow as far as the truck goes, sweet he has all service records, if it was me, I would change oil and fuel filters right when I got it, just a forced habit-

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
7.3stroker said:
i plan on replacing the injection pump and lift pump with performance units the truck has power everything and its at a dealer not a private seller so i figured that that is a really good deal

If you plan on doing that right off the bat. That's the best approach to take when buying a truck. Elliminating the weak spots before they give you problems and heartaches.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
if you wanna be thorough chech the power-everything, go under the truck and look at the front suspension, ball joints, etc. the Cummins is a heavy mother, look for rust around the bottom of the quarter panles and stuff like that, good luck and if you do get it post up some pics

·
348 Posts
Some of the trucks have had a problem with the bottoms of the doors rusting out.

·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i went and took a look at the truck today its a S.0 he put a new injection pump on it there is no rust anywhere on the frame he had it repainted jus cause it was scrached a lil it has not been wrecked if the loan goes through its comein home with me:woot:

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Congrads! :Thumbup:

·
Cummins Man
980 Posts
Yeah the VPs tend to be a problem. Mine died Sunday with no signs it was going out driving down the road. Always had good fuel preasure to it so that does not save them.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
dazed&confused said:
Yeah the VPs tend to be a problem. Mine died Sunday with no signs it was going out driving down the road. Always had good fuel preasure to it so that does not save them.
Hmmm... There is only two things that can kill a VP44...

WEAR - Add more lubricant to the fuel...

ELECTRONICS - There isn't much here you can do anything about...:shrug:

·
Cummins Man
980 Posts
Mopar1973Man said:
Hmmm... There is only two things that can kill a VP44...

WEAR - Add more lubricant to the fuel...

ELECTRONICS - There isn't much here you can do anything about...:shrug:
I've been running fuel treatment every fill up since I bought it and have always kept good preasure. I have a stuck valve in mine according to the code it threw. 124,000 on stock pump.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts

·
Cummins Man
980 Posts
I've been running two stroke oil for the past 45,000, and Power Service Diesel Kleen+ Cetane Boost since 68000.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts