The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I know my HD F250 is not going to work real well trying to haul my new 35+ ft toy hauler, 12k empty, probably a Voltage or Raptor.

What truck do you think is best for this? I am definitely buying a DRW and considering a F350 or F450 (08 and newer), but I also like the new body style Dodge. I really dont like small cab and IFS on GM.

I am not opposed to tuning and DPF/DOC deletes. I actually prefer it for heat reduction, MPG boost and performance.

Thanks,
Joe

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump....come on guys, I know there are plenty of heavy haulers here and I just want some feedback from everyone.

·
750 Posts
Im towing 16,000 with this ram,

07 6.7 4:10 gear 68RFE aouto. it does well I was towing the same with a 04 ram 5.9 3:73 gear ( not the best tranny)then the same rig with a 04 F-350 6.0 auto with 4:10 gears.( great tranny but not the best engine.) egr, turbo, head gasket, injector, Problems.
I think that the 6.7 with the 4:10 and 6 speed auto is a good set up but I have to say I think an 08 F-350 6.4 would do as well or a 07 duramax.
any one ton. it is your pref. I know you are looking past the 6.0 ford (good plan) Im on the dark side running the smarty JR tow 70 hp program. get any where from 9.5 in the mountains to 11-12 on the flats.

·
750 Posts
with all that said If i had the money I would have a M-2 freightliner sport.

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im towing 16,000 with this ram,

07 6.7 4:10 gear 68RFE aouto. it does well I was towing the same with a 04 ram 5.9 3:73 gear ( not the best tranny)then the same rig with a 04 F-350 6.0 auto with 4:10 gears.( great tranny but not the best engine.) egr, turbo, head gasket, injector, Problems.
I think that the 6.7 with the 4:10 and 6 speed auto is a good set up but I have to say I think an 08 F-350 6.4 would do as well or a 07 duramax.
any one ton. it is your pref. I know you are looking past the 6.0 ford (good plan) Im on the dark side running the smarty JR tow 70 hp program. get any where from 9.5 in the mountains to 11-12 on the flats.
Dave,

Nice rig!!!

Thanks for the feedback. I had a 05 5.9 but never pulled more than 10k with it. My HD F250 pulls great, but I want the long bed and stability of the dually. Definitely looking at a newer truck because of the creature comforts. I agree the 6.4 is strong once u get it deleted and tunes. I run the Spartan on my 6.4 and it hauls *** and I get about 12-13 towing small loads. I will consider the 6.7 and I would like to hear from some of the guys with 10's or newer Ram. I agree, the FL would be nice, but I need to daily drive if it for a few years too. Thanks again!

Joe

·
97 Posts
I like the idea of the F450 or 550 - then you always know you are WELL within capacity if there is ever an accident.

Not sure on mileage on the newer F450's/550's - I know for a while the guys were getting awful mileage depending on rear gearing.

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the idea of the F450 or 550 - then you always know you are WELL within capacity if there is ever an accident.

Not sure on mileage on the newer F450's/550's - I know for a while the guys were getting awful mileage depending on rear gearing.
I am really leaning toward a 450 because I still get a nice truck and with 4.30's u can get 14-15 empty tuned with deletes. I can deal with that and it will be able to pull anything I throw at it and have a great turning radius.

Thanks for your input!!

·
49 Posts
I am really leaning toward a 450 because I still get a nice truck and with 4.30's u can get 14-15 empty tuned with deletes. I can deal with that and it will be able to pull anything I throw at it and have a great turning radius.

Thanks for your input!!
Better turning radius, yes. 14-15 mpg :roflol:, I've broke the 14 mpg barrier a few times if you can keep it under 60. Plain on 12 and be happy with 13 if you drive the speed limit.

·
Milamore
7 Posts
I know it's a little late but get a dodge!!! Period!!!
Ford cant make an engine that will last, on the other hand
Cummins builds only engines, that's it. Cheaper stronger
And trusted more by backhoe operators, lease
Crews etc. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts