The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I am looking to pick up a Diesel fairly quickly. I won't be pulling to, to much. I'll have a sledbed on the box most of the year, and will be pulling a 26' enclosed trailer quite frequently that is loaded with sleds. I will also be pulling a skidsteer a few times a year, and other small things.
My Dad had an '09 Harley F350, and it was alright. It was a very stiff ride, and wasn't the best for around town. He just picked up a 2011 GMC Denali 2500HD and i love it. The thing is though, GM's are way more expensive. I am mainly considering an '08 or '09 Ford F350 (or 250), or possibly an '07 or '08 GMC/Chevy 3500HD. Both diesel.
What would you guys recomend? How are these trucks?
There is also a possibility that i will also level it and throw on a little bit bigger tires.
Also, would you guys recomend a gooseneck trailer or a conventional trailer for pulling mainly a skidsteer, and other random stuff?

I also like the GM because it is getting like 25 MPG highway as opposed to 11 with the Ford.

Thanks!

·
1,224 Posts
Hey guys. I am looking to pick up a Diesel fairly quickly. I won't be pulling to, to much. I'll have a sledbed on the box most of the year, and will be pulling a 26' enclosed trailer quite frequently that is loaded with sleds. I will also be pulling a skidsteer a few times a year, and other small things.
My Dad had an '09 Harley F350, and it was alright. It was a very stiff ride, and wasn't the best for around town. He just picked up a 2011 GMC Denali 2500HD and i love it. The thing is though, GM's are way more expensive. I am mainly considering an '08 or '09 Ford F350 (or 250), or possibly an '07 or '08 GMC/Chevy 3500HD. Both diesel.
What would you guys recomend? How are these trucks?
There is also a possibility that i will also level it and throw on a little bit bigger tires.
Also, would you guys recomend a gooseneck trailer or a conventional trailer for pulling mainly a skidsteer, and other random stuff?

Thanks!
I won't get into recommending a Ford or Chevy since I drive a Dodge:poke

As far as trailers either will haul a skid lodder fine but from a comfort level, a truck will ride much smoother with a gooseneck then a bumper pull. Also a goose neck is much more moneverable in tight situations.

·
8 Posts
Like dodgefarmer said goosenecks are def a nicer ride and turn and back up so much nicer. But you'll prob pay a little more for a gooseneck and you'll have to install a hitch in the bed. So if you rarely haul a trailer it may not be worth it to you, but that's your decision.

As far as trucks go I prefer a solid axle for towing but I've rode in a Dmax before with a trailer behind and it seemed to do alright. There's no such thing as a perfect truck IMO. Fords seem to have the chassis and body, cummins has the engine, and dmax engine aren't too shabby either unless you push the limit with mods.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts