The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best & LOUDEST turbo to go with for occasional weekend performance(racing) and everyday loading & pulling? My 99
F-250 has the normal bolt-ons; 5" MBRP exhuast,AFE stage 2,DR.Evil built trans,Evo2 programmer,and wicked wheel.

I'm gonna be stepping up to 75-80HP injectors,aftermarket intercooler,and a DP tuner program last but can't decide on a Turbo unit yet. I need to hear my turbo whine and don't want my truck to fall on its face after the hard launch like it does just before it shifts in third gear. Just need a little play toy for the ricers while my Cobra's are down for upgrades!

Don't wanna count on propane or nitrous.......just BOOST:peelout

·
459 Posts
GTP38R from Garrett

·
*^%$#@&am p;am p;am p;am p;am
1,327 Posts

·
Dieselis' Maximus
1,744 Posts
I agree with that Turbo, But for a little more you can Get an Modded H2E thats the route i wish i took.

·
812 Posts

·
459 Posts
LOL Joe

·
8,265 Posts
First off, what is your build date? If you have an early 99 (build date prior to 12/98) you are going to need a new pedestal, spider pipe and intake manifolds. If you have a late 99...then a new turbo will just drop in.

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First off, what is your build date? If you have an early 99 (build date prior to 12/98) you are going to need a new pedestal, spider pipe and intake manifolds. If you have a late 99...then a new turbo will just drop in.
Kool....my build date is 6/99.

How much more can I expect from the Modded H2E over the Garrett GTP38R?
Does one have more boost lag in the lower RPMS and/or does one pull harder on the high end? Which of the two is LOUDER?

·
169 Posts

·
102 Posts
what if you can't afford that turbo(like me), anyone running "the big bad wolf" turbo?

·
Pulling Sled for hire
174 Posts
How much more can I expect from the Modded H2E over the Garrett GTP38R? Does one have more boost lag in the lower RPMS and/or does one pull harder on the high end? Which of the two is LOUDER?
The 38r is loudest at cruising speeds, actually border line annoying depending on who you ask. Under hard boost it's not as loud. Mod H2E is a little louder I think under hard boost. They really have two totally different whistles to them. Mod H2E will flow more air than a 38r. Stock h2E doesn't really whistle that much, and flows less than a 38r. 38r is not rebuildable, h2e is, plus it gives you room to grow because you can just keep modding it bigger.
Listen to this video with the 38r.

Justin

·
213 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts