The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any body had some oppinions on which turbo to get. I cant believe its hung on this long but the stock tranny is about toast and when I replace that I want to start thinking about a new turbo. Whats a good all around turbo. I know you can find hx35/40 for a bit cheaper but will there be a noticeable diffrence? i want the turbo to be able to handle injectors and possibly dv's as they will be next in line. The main problem I have with the stock turbo is to much juice so I get high egts. I can manage it buy keeping my foot out of it on long pulls but it makes it difficult with my 8,000 pd trailer. I dont want to get a new turbo for the mods I have now and out grow it when I get injectors or DV's because then I will have to worry about DV's. The pocket book isnt going to be very big after a tranny either so if there is a slightly cheaper approach to this that would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I would go with the s300 it's good for 450hp and you can get it for about 1000 to 1200 off of e-bay take a look at it! It comes with the down pipe and the clamps!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
What are your power goals? The specific dv's and ijnectors will make a big difference in what turbo will work good and wat wil be a waste of money.

The hx35/40 nybrids are good and cheap for up to 400hp. An s300, like a BD single, is a good trubo for up to 425, the s300 variants are good for above that. It all depends on your power goals.

·
Tebow-in'...
1,243 Posts
how does the spool-up on these turbos (hybrid and s300) compare to stock?? at some point, i'll be looking at turbos, too. my situation will be offroad and won't want to have large amounts of lag.

·
Registered
964 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
I put mine on today, had an issue with the oil feed and drain you need an adapter for the supply line m12 by 1.5 o-ring seal and a fitting to attach the line got them from the local hyd line shop and then you will have to "time it or clock it" to match then get out your big hammer and modify the drain tube so it doesn't interfere with the waste gate arm other than that it bolted right up! Now where did I put those DV's? Anybody know how to adjust the waste gate on these???

·
Registered
964 Posts
well I took it for a drive and was very impressed I drive at 75 and I run 500 deg on the egt was 8 to 900 stock and the boost is 0 this should really help my MPG i floored it and the power roll on is fast and furious! I would recommend this turbo as a first step on the power build After all the basic fuel mods! Wish there was a dyno near by so i could see the #'s!

·
Tebow-in'...
1,243 Posts
sweet, sounds like fun!! :Thumbup:

where did you get yours - the ebay link you provided or elsewhere?? it came w/ everything you needed, fit well, and was pretty easy, eh?? what's your new max boost reading??

:popcorn:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Was the cartridge not threaded for the feed line? The S300G's I have installed will accept the stock oil feed fitting since the HX35 uses the same size and pitch.

·
Registered
964 Posts
The one I got was threaded m12 x 1.5 needed a fitting with the o-ring seal then the fitting to except the stock line. My hx35 was part of the cartridge so I couldn't take it off.
As for mudguppy I got it at that link was easy to put on I also put a htt pulse exhuast manifold on. As far as max boost I haven't floored it yet! But have hit 30psi remember boost pressure is also affected by back pressure I could hit almost 50 psi with the stock turbo! This turbo is 4" out no restriction and flows really good! Just did 100 miles and the gas guage didn't even move an 1/8 inch! WOW gonna keep you all posted. Can't wait to pull 15 to 20 k and see what it does!

·
Registered
973 Posts
The 3/4" fitting in the HX35 cartridge is an M12 x1.50 O-ring fitting on one side and compression on the other side, it is not built into the cartridge.

·
Registered
964 Posts
OK i hit 40 psi today and seems to just keep going! What psi is max before a stock head gasket will say bye bye?!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
your pushing your luck there

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
You could pop it at any time, but if you watch yourself, you may be able to hit 50lb once or twice. Make sure it's plenty warmed up before you get on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts