The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace an older Dodge gas dually pickup I've worn out. If Chrysler still offered a big gas V8 I'd lean that way but am looking for an older Ford F-350, or 450 w/a diesel.

What would be the best year to acquire for reliability and robust construction of the engine? I'm not looking for a hot rod, but the truck needs to take pulling 20K on an 8.5K dropdeck gooseneck trailer regularly. I have a friend with a 2000 model year F-350 and it has a ball bearing turbocharger, some different charge air cooler, head studs and a three step program controlled by a switch. it is very strong and reliable.

I'm not ruling out another Dodge product but every one of the 5.9 engines I've driven shake and buzz through the steering column so leaning on a V8.

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
All of the Super Duty 7.3's(1999-2003) are a good choice, but if you plan on making a good amount of power, look for a late 1999 or a 2000. They have forged rods instead of PMR's. Some 2001's have forged rods, but not all. The early 1999's have a smaller turbo and injectors that flow less fuel than the later models.

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All of the Super Duty 7.3's(1999-2003) are a good choice, but if you plan on making a good amount of power, look for a late 1999 or a 2000. They have forged rods instead of PMR's. Some 2001's have forged rods, but not all. The early 1999's have a smaller turbo and injectors that flow less fuel than the later models.
I would be safe, or best zeroing in on a 2000 model year? I've looked at a few in the year ranges you mention that are camper pullers and completely stock. This is what I'm out for.

Thanks

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would be safe, or best zeroing in on a 2000 model year? I've looked at a few in the year ranges you mention that are camper pullers and completely stock. This is what I'm out for.

Thanks
I can't edit the original post so have to tag onto it:

I've been looking to replace my old Dodge for quite some time. Does anybody know how easy or difficult to install a small Fuller RT-609 series transmission into a light duty F series truck is? I have an SAE #2 flywheel housing from a school bus to mate with the trans. The trans used a 1710 series driveline. I've heard the OEM transmissions were a weak link in some of these, (I don't want another automatic) but really have no direct experience. Power upgrades would be in the future for certain but not to the point of crossing the reliability threshold. My friends 2000 F-350 is very strong and just as reliable so would look to emulate his setup. I'm wanting a four door truck this time around. I don't look for "jack rabbit" acceleration, but a good steady pull with a 20K deckload is not unexpected.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts