The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What year diesel trucks would you guys prefer?

I am asking this because I have owned older diesels and newer diesels, and I know that sometimes with newer diesels everything is electronic creating a lot more headaches and costly repairs. Sometimes stuff isn't made as it used to. How about driver comforts and convenience..?

What would you guys prefer if you were going to invest in a daily driving heavy diesel truck, late model/newer... or pre-a certain year? For stuff such as cost of ownership, parts availability, comfort, user-ability, etc..?

Thank you all you pro diesel mechanics.

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm thinking of investing some good money into something that will serve me for the next 10 years plus, and swapping my nice service body/dump/arbor body over to a cab & chassis of my choice.

I've been looking at 1999-2001 T6500's with the Isuzu and CAT motors...and am prepared to invest some good money....But wondering if I will be better off investing in something newer and maybe even taking a minor payment if I have to.

**disclaimer::
I'm not going to lie...I've owned many Ford F-450's 550's... Three different International DT-466's a 1986, a 1995, and now a 2000 dt466E... And a Ford F800 w/ a 5.9 Cummins. I do A LOT of work in the city where parking can be tricky and roadways are narrow...so I WANT A CABOVER truck I have decided. I want a 25,500gvw cabover (I need a class 6 25,000 gvw truck)

Thanks for reading, and for any advice!

·
323 Posts
Diesel Particulate Filter.
Started around 2009-2011.
Think shop vac filter stuck in the exhaust that you have to burn off occasionally.

·
282 Posts
I bought a 2005 Chevy C-7500 with a C-7 CAT with an Allison, thinking it would be easy to get parts. Engine yes, Body no,It's a pain. C-7's usually need rebuilt before 300k due to busted rings.( Rebuilt for under $5K myself) I knew this prior to purchase, but couldn't pass up the deal I got. Has awesome steering radius for a service truck. I swapped the box with my crane ,welder, ect off of my '93 Intrernational 4700 onto this truck. I've wanted to go back to a F-550, but the amount of tools ect on my truck I'd be too heavy. I would say prior to 2005 to stay away from emission crap, or just build a prior 1999 to your specs to stay away from having to run electronic log books.(Most of the time I'm close enough within the 100 mi radius They aren't needed) Might want to read up on the isuzu motors 7.8 Liter if you go cab over, I'm not too familiar with them.

·
229 Posts
2007.5 and newer had DPF, 2004.5 and newer had EGR, both the DPF and EGR are strategies to reduce emissions. ( most manufacturers did this, Cat used Accert compound turbos to reduce NOx on certain engines). They both can cause poorer fuel efficiency and reliability. I prefer to run 2003 or older equipment to get away from these problems.

Reactions: Jasong
1 - 8 of 8 Posts