The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dad is thinking about either trading in or selling his 08 350 cc long bed drw FX4 and going back to maybe an 06-07 6.0 to lower payments and get better mileage. His truck has one small 2" scratch on the driver's door and thats it. evrything else is 100%. it has 38K miles. He's just tired of the 8-10mpg and it's been in the shop almost once every two months.

·
990 Posts
have you talked to him about maybe trying out the spartan tuner? cause i will tell you, itsa totally different truck. i fell in love with it all over again! lol... and i've noticed in just the short period of time having mine a substantial increase of fuel mileage over stock tuning.

·
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we don't have money right now to do much of anything, I'm working for free some days just to help him out and I'm about to leave for UTI in 14 days. bills are getting high and we have only a few grand in work coming in. He needs to get away from payments for now. I've talked to him about spartan but, he looks at it like if he's gonna pay $700 a month for a new truck with a warranty he wants to keep the warranty. He's wanting to just go backwards for now. We talked and if he does find a 6.0 he likes, he's gonna get arp's, b4 it leaves the lot and he'll block off the egr cooler, and put in a coolant filter. He can always go back to a 6.4 later or maybe 6.7.

·
990 Posts
we don't have money right now to do much of anything, I'm working for free some days just to help him out and I'm about to leave for UTI in 14 days. bills are getting high and we have only a few grand in work coming in. He needs to get away from payments for now. I've talked to him about spartan but, he looks at it like if he's gonna pay $700 a month for a new truck with a warranty he wants to keep the warranty. He's wanting to just go backwards for now. We talked and if he does find a 6.0 he likes, he's gonna get arp's, b4 it leaves the lot and he'll block off the egr cooler, and put in a coolant filter. He can always go back to a 6.4 later or maybe 6.7.
i hear that man, i have been laid off for awhile now but i go back in about 2 weeks thank god! plus my old lady lost her job around the same time, and my mom, she was a loan officer for citi bank and they closed the doors on all there divisions in ohio.and my dads laid off too. so yeah i know where your coming from totally, but if you got tools and the hustle you can always make money thats one invaluable lesson my dad taught me. hang in there your not the only one we will all get through it. where you from i have some serious connections at dealerships. my aunt is the manager at kings ford and i hook friends up all the time. you cannot beat the deals i can get on trade in s and buying used or new. if its worth it maybe pm me and i can hook you up with some info:thumbsup

·
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, yea we're good friends with our dealership too, 3 of my 4 trucks have come from them. Dad has bought about 15 rides from them and I'd say about the same for my grandpa. They really let me slide alot with mods and warranty on my 6.0 but they said they really can't do that with the 6.4L. We're all in hard times. Dada started his company 25 years ago as lawn maint. we got into irrigation and landscape, then tractor and tree work. The past few years we've done everything from building fences, walls, paver walks and decks, water gardens and anything just to pay bills. Thats why I'm going to UTI for diesel's, they will always need work.
Back on topic... I was thinking trade in maybe $27,500 and personal sell maybe $32-33k.

·
990 Posts
yeah that sounds about right on the price. keep your head up we'll get through it man. good luck to you and your family. and god bless

Reactions: stacks

·
Training Wheels King
1,301 Posts
I'll trade + money truck in my sig lol CHEAP... might be in need of studs. Not totally sure, no coolant anywhere but there is the heater problem...See you have them, have the ablities to do them yourself?

edit... in the shop lol.. i don't like the sound of that.. what happen

·
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
everything from the fan ran full blast 375 out of a 400 mile trip. (first day having it cause he bought it when the 06 blew the hpop fitting on the way out of twon for 4th o' july) powersteering pump went, powersteering gear box went, radiator went, 4 reflashes, rear end has 1/4" chips in it, sounds like a printer is under the dash (really does, we don't know if it's one of the computers or what), every now and then the motor gets a really loud knock/tick that sounds like a rod is about to come out, passenger door handle broke, tailgate broke off (with out weight on it while we were opening it) rear fender lights keep poping out and the left brake light blows every 7-10k miles. I don't think you'd wanna trade lol

·
Training Wheels King
1,301 Posts
lol damnit man... Mine is been ragged on pretty good, straight up! haha.. I'm sorta following this thread because I'm looking to buy. Not trying to hi-jack, but I found an 08 XLT F-250 CC LB for 34,900 with 15xxx miles at a dealer near me. Probly don't want to pay that much, but just to give you an idea...

Reactions: stacks

·
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how hard have you run your truck? be honest lol. I'll be in houston in 14 days

·
Training Wheels King
1,301 Posts
OK, well never had more than DJ's Looney tune on it. However I did leave a pretty massive pile of tires on the ground about 2 months ago and have been "worried" ever since. Like I said I'm pretty sure the HG are leaking because of the no heat at idle deal. Truck has 61K on it. Honestly alot of the miles were easy, but when I was on it, I was on it for sure. I"m willing to let it go pretty cheap simply because I know that studs don't need to be at this very moment, but are in the future for sure. Exhuast for some reason now is rubbing on the tranny brace also. Trying to figure that out today... PM if you really wanna talk, because I know I won't get **** for it if I trade it in...

No problem letting you check it out, and I'll be honest about it. But I'm fixin to move on here shortly, and I have had a fair share of tire kickers...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts