The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haha..just kiding im not that ignorant. But seriously ive only owned cummins and only know cummins...my truck is getting sold next week and i found a 99 or a 00 "not for sure yet" powerstroke 6spd. Ive been reading the 7.3 threads tryn to catch up on these trucks but still dont know them as good as a dodge. I have quite a few questions so everybody just give your oppinion.

whats the difference in a early 99 and late? Ive also read alot about different pcm's in these trucks, which do i kneed? Everybody seems to be leaning toward the F-5, is this the best chip for an auto or 6spd? or does it not matter? I had planed on getting the 5 position from TS because a buddy had one on his truck and it would haul a**! But another friend has it on his and it hasnt impressed me yet...so just tell me what all i kneed to know if you dont mind

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
You want Dp Tuner.

Get the F5 and get some gauges. Pyro, Boost, and Trans Temp if you get an auto.

I would rather have an auto but it will need a rebuild at some point if you push power through it.

early vs late 99 is a little smaller injectors and a little smaller turbo. 94.5 - 2000 (part of 2000) has forged rods and are good to about 500 RWHP
late 2000-2003 are powdered medal rods and are good only to 400-425.

why are you selling your dodge?

·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the truck is just getting old to me...i love the truck and it has some great power for a 12 valve, but i like the looks of a ford alot better! this truck im looking to buy is a single wheel f350 has 145k miles and a manual trany..I know injectors and clutches run alot more for these than a dodge, but will they hold up if i was to get a Dp tuner? Because if i had to replace either one id be broke!

·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And also id like to know any DIY intake tricks yall have.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The injectors will "hold up" fine with a chip. I like my SuperDuty and it is twice the truck compared to the Dodges I've had, but you are going to spend a lot more money for the power compared to the trusty 12v.

I second the vote for DP-Tuner, out of everything I have run Jody's tuning is the best. Make sure you tell him you have a 6sd though, if you run the auto tunes they can be a bit touchy with a manual.

Clutches are the same price about, about a grand for a Dodge or Ford SouthBend setup.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Ah, the clutch will probably not last long with a bunch of new found power, but it'll still live if you drive it nice. I'd just count on doing a clutch at some point, especially since you don't really know what condition the clutch in the truck is in.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
You can get a southbend CON FE for just over 800 shipped.

For the intake. You need a 6637 filter (fleetguard, baldwin, etc)

Napa PN is 46637.

a short 4" piece of pipe, pvc, etc, and a 4" clamp. You can get one from a semi shop, get a 4" CAC clamp.

·
4,827 Posts
Surprised you'd sell your Dodge. Sharp looking truck. :D

·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. i know it im gona kick myself in the butt for sellin it, but oh well theres more out there i guess...

I got a question LocoMotion are those cone filters? and how big? cost? Also whats a CAC clamp?

·
1,726 Posts
LocoMotion said:
You can get a southbend CON FE for just over 800 shipped.

For the intake. You need a 6637 filter (fleetguard, baldwin, etc)

Napa PN is 46637.

a short 4" piece of pipe, pvc, etc, and a 4" clamp. You can get one from a semi shop, get a 4" CAC clamp.

He meant Napa number 6637 or Wix number 46637 :poke:

CAC clamp is a Charge Air Cooler clamp.

You just need some sort of T bolt clamp because the filter is very stiff. You can get the filters cheapest at fleetfilter.com around 25 bucks. The filter is about 12" long and 8.5" diameter.

Here's a link to the specs.
http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=46637

Dont forget to round up a 3.5" muffler delete pipe or put on a Walker BTM. The stock muffler is very restrictive on the SD trucks.

·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks i apprecaite it my friend can get a 6x9 k&n con for $35 but i dont know if the cfm is better than the wix...but if it works good for you then il try it...is there anyone with pics of what they done with theres? Also i know all trucks have small HP tricks what is there for a PSD??

·
Registered
300 Posts
K&N filters suck on the diesels. I know some have had better luck w/the conical K&N's, but i would just prefer to avoid them all together. The DIY filter kit they are referring to is commonly referred to the TYMAR filter, do a google search and you'll find a couple write ups on it. When it comes to filtration, these engines need clean air. .. with it they'll run forever, w/o, it's a pricey rebuild. .. i'd "save" money elsewhere, not that the DIY TYMAR setup is too awful expensive.

·
0 Posts
if it were me id go with the tymar air intake, the dp tuner, and not the ts 6 positiong id steer clear of thoose. Thoose r a couple of cheaper hp upgrades.:smoke

·
strokin now cummin later!
1,116 Posts
how much u sellin the truck for? or do you already have it sold?
the dp tuner would be a good choice. i think ts is slackin in performance parts. i have a buddy with a ts chip and so do i. he got his about 3 years after i got mine. i walk all over him. i dont think these chips are what they use to be. or his truck is a piece of s**t

·
1,726 Posts
Here is a pic of the 6637 filter on my OBS

Attachments

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Goodluck with the new truck, you're getting a better all-around truck than the dodge, cummins or not. I just gotta ask, why not get a newer dodge?

P.S. fummins:woot: LOL :bow:

·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
my truck is suppose to be sold tommarow hopefully for 8700...but we will see how that goes. I really want a common rail dodge BAD!!! But I just dont thank i could afford one at the moment plus i kinda ran up on a good deal on a ford. tell me what ya thank, its either a 99 or 00 black ext cab short bed 144k miles 4wd 6spd taken very good care of and paint and interior both are in very good shape for 10k...if i was to get me a 03 dodge 4wd 6spd 4 door it would have to have over 200k miles before i could ever afford it.

·
1,921 Posts
That is one nice looking truck from what I can see in your pic. As for the year of the new truck if you just plan on putting a chip in it and doing a couple miner mods then the year really doesn't matter to much. If you had come on here and said you were getting a new truck and wanted to make 500+ hp with it then I'd say get a '99 or '00 with forged rods. Pretty much any of the other differences are going to be a mute point being they are all going to be changed anyway.

As far as an air filter goes I'd go for an AFE. IMHO they are the best compramise between filtration and flow. The K&Ns flow very well but don't filter as well. And it has nothing to do with being on a diesel or a turbo diesel. The guys at AFE used to work at K&N and got tired of makeing poor filtering filters. That being said for the low dust environment of the highway when properly maintained they are probably adiquate filters. I wouldn't want to run them in a dusty offroad environment on an engine I wanted to last for a long time though. Or if you live in an area that is very dusty I would stay away. But why get something that isn't going to be all that great if you ever run through a dust storm? The AFE filters are a little more costly but are reuseable which is nice and they flow better. If you get the Pro Guard 7 they filter very well but sacrifice some flow capability. If you want to go the DIY route then just go with the paper filter on a pice of 4" exhaust. Or you could just purchase the AFE filter without the rest of the kit.

DP tuner is very well known as being a great tuner and you won't go wrong with his stuff. A couple other great tuners are Dave Lott from Diesel Innovations, and Tadd from Elite Diesel. Personally I'm not real big on the switch on the F5 system and like a simpler toggle switch or knob like most of the others use but that's all personal preference.

·
strokin now cummin later!
1,116 Posts
cummins0797 said:
my truck is suppose to be sold tommarow hopefully for 8700...but we will see how that goes. I really want a common rail dodge BAD!!! But I just dont thank i could afford one at the moment plus i kinda ran up on a good deal on a ford. tell me what ya thank, its either a 99 or 00 black ext cab short bed 144k miles 4wd 6spd taken very good care of and paint and interior both are in very good shape for 10k...if i was to get me a 03 dodge 4wd 6spd 4 door it would have to have over 200k miles before i could ever afford it.
If i may ask what kinda power is it putting down? and also why are u leaning toward the 6spd so hard. true it is cheaper to make it hold the power. but it just wont be as fast as an auto. im sure u already know this thou.

·
102 Posts
You also might want to do a simple DIY CCV (CrankCase Vent)mod to keep the crankcase blow-by vapors out of the intake. I just performed this on my truck and know quite few others have it done too. I bought my truck this past June, and love the 6-speed!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts