The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed my spartan today with 4 inch straight exhaust and drop in filter, only got to drive it once so far, it is a totally differant truck. It's a shame these trucks don't run this good from the get go. Anyway what is the differance between the 210 and the 210 tow/performance tune? I loaded the 250 right off the bat of course but am interested in the 210 tune for daily driving.

·
100 Posts
not to sway from topic but what drop in filter are you using? been looking at intakes and seen this option so I thought I'd ask.

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, like I said I haven't had hardly any time to mess with it, but I do like how the 250 smokes, I don't like how hard it shifts. I want to try the 210 and hopefully will like it, hope it smokes like the 250. I don't like to run the crap out of my truck, I've got other toys for that, but it cool when you can play with it when it's time. As far as my filter it's a drop in AFE.

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well if the 250 tune would "plane" out on the hard shift I could stand it, but now the few miles I drove it the whole bed would shake when it shifted at very low speeds and low rpm's. Is the EGR disabled in the 250 tune?

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
well if the 250 tune would "plane" out on the hard shift I could stand it, but now the few miles I drove it the whole bed would shake when it shifted at very low speeds and low rpm's. Is the EGR disabled in the 250 tune?
Yes, the EGR is disabled while you drive, but it cycles at idle every so often.

As for the shifting, are you doing a relearn with the tune when you load it up?

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, fill me in on the relearn.

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay thanks for the info, I'll give it a whirl when I get a chance, whole lotta runs in there to make it happen though. Does the 250 ever calm down on the shifts after this? I loaded the 210 and liked it but like I said I like the response and smoke off of the 250.

·
Ford 6.4 it's just cooler
673 Posts
Yeah it'll shift pretty sloppy till you get a relearn in and then a little driving...but the 250 is a great tune, once the shifts calm down

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On a small rant now that I've drink a few beers and powerbraked the truck a few times, a Ford Traction loc sucks big time. My truck has 20k on it and has never seen any abuse until the past 3 days since I installed the tune and exhuaust and it will hook a single in a powerbrake, unless I lock the parking brake. I don't have any interest in tearing this truck up, but you I do have to try out what I bought. It's a shame a 50k plus 3/4 ton truck doesn't have a better rear. Anyway Ford track lock sucks!

·
100 Posts
For a relearn with the stock TCM, just do a 3 passes 0-60 at part throttle and 3 passes 0-60 at WOT. Do this anytime you feel the shifts are getting sloppy.

Is this the same relearning process after installing a tune also. Doing mine next weekend and wondering? Gonna try the 250 but I pull a heavy hauler SO it's gonna a be a new experience for me.

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
Is this the same relearning process after installing a tune also. Doing mine next weekend and wondering? Gonna try the 250 but I pull a heavy hauler SO it's gonna a be a new experience for me.
It's only needed with the high line pressure tunes like the 210 Tow, 250, 275, and 310. Yes, do it after you load a tune up or anytime you feel like the shifts are getting a little sloppy.

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for that info too, I hate the WOT pulls, just seems too hard on the truck, but if I reload the 250 I'll just do the 6 pulls. How hard is the black smoke on these twin turbos? I know on my old 6.0l I had to pull it twice and clean it, do these do the same thing?

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
thanks for that info too, I hate the WOT pulls, just seems too hard on the truck, but if I reload the 250 I'll just do the 6 pulls. How hard is the black smoke on these twin turbos? I know on my old 6.0l I had to pull it twice and clean it, do these do the same thing?
No, the black smoke is fine.

·
393 Posts
It's only needed with the high line pressure tunes like the 210 Tow, 250, 275, and 310. Yes, do it after you load a tune up or anytime you feel like the shifts are getting a little sloppy.
I've never done a re-learn when I have changed tunes, just loaded the tune and drove the truck.

Just towed my 5th wheel 800 miles this past weekend from West Texas to the mountains of Northern New Mexico. For some dumb reason I started out with the DPF delete "stock" tune, just to see how it would perform. I stopped and switched over to the 250 tune at 100 miles because the fuel mileage was so bad (8 mpg). Didn't do a re-learn, just loaded the program and took off down the road with my trailer.

Will this hurt my transmission or is a re-learn a must?

Now that I am home, should I do a re-learn?

By the way, my hand-calculated mileage for the rest of the trip was from 10 mpg to 11.5 mpg. With diesel prices between $3.10 and $3.40, the extra miles per gallon was welcome.

·
393 Posts
A relearn is going to help the way the truck shifts. It's not going to hurt anything if you don't, the shifts just might be sloppy at times.
When you say "sloppy", exactly what do you mean?

With the "stock" tune my transmission seems to "slide" from gear to gear and you can't hardly tell it is shifting. With the 250 tune, engagement is much firmer/harder and you can definitely feel the shifts.

The only real transmission issues that I have had with the 250 tune is that sometimes when I am slowing down for a "red light" (say 10 to 15 mph) and the light turns "green", I will get off the brake and start to accelerate (normally, not putting it to the floor or anything) and the transmission will slam into gear. It's almost as though the transmission was "between gears" and then engaged. I know that it isn't a problem with my truck (2010), because I had the same problem with the three 2008's that I owned.

Is this condition "sloppy" or just a glitch in the program?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts