The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When should I worry about the "shaft" that everyone replaces with a billet piece giving out?

When should I start upgrading the rest of the trans?

P.S. I have an edge ez and s300 on the way, plus the rest of the stuff in my sig. I want to hook to the sled this summer.

It was rebuilt about 6 months ago, I called the guy who rebuilt it and asked him what they replaced, he said its a basic rebuild with stronger parts and a heavier duty tc, but when I asked him how much more hp it could handle he said "why would you need anymore hp" he was kind of an ahole about the whole thing so I 'm trying to find out some info on just how much more you guys think it can handle.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
If you are talking about the input shaft of your transmission..................I'd say around ..........
400 RWHP input
500 RWHP output
600 RWHP middle

Someone could argue with me on these exact numbers but these are just averages of what people on here have been doing.

·
232 Posts
i replace my input shaft w/ a billet when i bought my trans my output was stock. and it ddint last the first night at the strip.
i dont even think im pushing 400hp

if you goin to hook i wouldnt chance anything. it makes stuff easier when you do everything the first time.
i dont know to much about hooking but i know i wont hook. ill just stick to drag racing.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
breaking a billet input shaft under 400hp. Uhmmm. I would venture to think this might be a isolated case, but I could be wrong. I've seen billet input shafts good for over twice that so I dunno.

·
1,055 Posts
From what I have been told the intermediate shaft is really not need.

·
232 Posts
i broke my output not input

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Even then, I've seen STOCK outputs handle over 400 hp. Ya still got me puzzled, I'm not saying I don't believe you, I do. I just wonder if maybe you had one made on a Friday, something obnormal in your tranny, etc. I may not even be reading your posts right. You broke a stock one? I can see that, that's happened.

I just can't see a proper setup doing under 400hp breaking a billet shaft in a 47RE.

·
232 Posts
imo its not how much hp you got when your doiin boosted launched its how much boost you leave at.

·
3,514 Posts
It really depends on what the truck is seeing. Boosted launches and locked up shifts are really hard on the shafts. And I wouldn't do boosted 4wd launches in a truck without billet shafts. With that said. I have a friend in Texas that was probably in the upper 500hp range (Mach 5's, Sled Puller 66, TST, Smarty) that could run in the 12's and did 25psi boosted 4 hi launches with just a billet output. Personally I wouldn't even think about that. Get a billet Input shaft and don't worry about it. Also if you do it before you break your stock shaft. In the off chance you do snap your billet shaft and don't grenade your trans you can throw the stocker back in and save up to install another billet one, instead of shelling out at least $700 right away just to get your truck back on the road.
Sean

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much do they run?

can i put it in myself?

·
567 Posts
goerend bros sells billet inputs for $650 and you have to pull the pump and front drum out of the tranny......intermediate shaft isnt needed if you stay under 700hp.......but like the others said......input is a must....boosted launches/locked shifts kill shafts...but if you get a single disc tc you dont have to worry bout shaft breakage thats from dusty at HTS

·
3,514 Posts
Yeah, the single disc converter has less mass then a 3 disc, so there is less force transfered to the shaft itself, and also less force transfered to the flexplate, which is another weak point, but if that goes, it isn't as likely to take out the entire trans.

I'm running a 1 piece billet input and front drum and that cost me about 650 I believe. Mine is one of Opie's shafts and I'm really happy with it. Goerend and Suncoast both run Sonnax 300m shafts for their 1 piece set ups and I haven't heard of any issues with those either. As for install, it isn't that difficult, you just have to pull the front pump cover off, and then IIRC its just held in by a retainer ring behind that.
Sean

·
232 Posts
output shaft you got to pulll the rear half (OD unit) off and take it apart from there and u got to have a press to disassembl it

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Judging by my sig should i have to worry about shafts? I have an s300 in the mail that will be installed when it gets here.

Do you have links to those web sites?

·
567 Posts
I'd say that you probably will be ok as long as you take it easy on the boosted launches and use your lock up switch in moderation...any idea what tc is in there? because i would do shafts atleast an input if you had the trans out..

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I posted once before asking what people thought about the t/c that is in it now.
But I don't think anyone ever replied.

The trans was rebuilt about 6 months ago before I bought the truck, I called the guy who rebuilt it and asked him what he did when he rebuilt it, he said that it has a "better than stock t/c" then he started drilling me why I was asking so many questions and why I thought that I needed more power when the truck already had more than it needed (it was all stock until i got it). He was a total *** about it so I gave up on him.

Does anyone have any idea on what is done in a general rebuild or what a "better than stock t/c" is? And what it will hold up to?

·
567 Posts
Probably depending on what it is.....bigger or more lockup clutches with more surface area.....But i'd ask him if he knew the brand....because if it's "better than stock" that doesn't take much and you will probably have issues with it again if you plan on going like yur talking

1 - 17 of 17 Posts