The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the new 6.4 for a couple of weeks. Great truck :D. I want to do a DPF/Doc delete and tunes. At what milage are ya'll doin' this. I was thinking about 10000. Don't know if I can wait that long.:goodvsevil. Thanks, Ken

·
Chirpin Tires...
1,402 Posts
i was gonna wait till 25 or 30,000...but i had some money burnin a hole in my pocket, and i did it all at about 10,000, and ive had no problems

others have done it with less than 1000 miles with no problems

Reactions: KJR0360

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
Everyone seems to have a difference of opinion on this topic. I myself waited until I have 35,000miles on mine befoe I tuned. Mostly because I didnt find out about Spartan until 25,000miles. I believe in a break in/shake down period to make sure the truck is in good working order. Beat on the truck for the first 10,000miles stock to flush out any gremlins and then tune away. Yes the trucks probly could be tuned from the dealership. But why take the chance of breaking something before the parts have seated in. Spartan and SCT will still be there after a good break in.

·
2,183 Posts
I did it at 20,000 miles

·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys - I'm glad to here I was thinking along the right lines. This engine seems to be much improved from the 6.0 according to what I've read and experianced so far. Also seems to handle the tuning better than the 6.0 did.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think you'll find the issue to be more with when you are comfortable with tuning the truck.

As far as break-in, tuning will not cause any positive or negative effects assuming the truck isn't just outright abused with the tune in place.

However, just like the failure rates on electronics- the higher percentage of bad parts will rear their head when the truck is brand new. Once you have enough miles on the truck for you to be comfortable that you are driving a solid unit, that is the time to tune.

Taking the DPF on and off to get window motors, door locks, or interior stuff fixed can be a real PITA- but other than that, any time is the right time.

·
1,077 Posts
I agree with forcefed.

·
Truck Toyz
653 Posts
I had my tuner before I had my truck. Put the SCT Extreme livewire and Airaid intake on it the first day I had it.

·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is good to hear that everybody is having good luck with tuning this engine. It seems it's better than the 6.0. With what I've read it seems it runs better with the tunes, which will be nice. I may lower my milage requirements:thumbsup. Thanks for all the info, Ken

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
Had mine sense 4000 miles. now at 6600 miles. I dont drive all that much :haha

·
Truck Toyz
653 Posts

·
Super *********
305 Posts
50,000 miles on mine with 25,000 tuned at 275. Just blew a down pipe gasket but that's all. Not a day goes by with out a WOT run on the highway to merge or to smarten some idiot up who is tail gating. 310 here we come!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts