The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my CCV routed for a long time... to begin with I had it coming out right behind the front fender well. I got tired of being able to smell it when I was sitting still w/ my window down so i moved it to come out more center the truck... BUT now everything down there is just getting covered from the oil, so I am wanting to hear where everyone else has theres vented to...

·
Got Torque?
2,577 Posts
Still in the front wheel well. I agree, smells. There must be a way to run a line where it will stay clean towards the back.

·
1,660 Posts
i plan on running mine to the back of the truck and putting a filter on it and see how that works .

·
90 Posts
I'm new, so what's the CCV mod?

·
SLAPS President
3,027 Posts
hhrecovery said:
I have had my CCV routed for a long time... to begin with I had it coming out right behind the front fender well. I got tired of being able to smell it when I was sitting still w/ my window down so i moved it to come out more center the truck... BUT now everything down there is just getting covered from the oil, so I am wanting to hear where everyone else has theres vented to...

Why not run it into the exhaust? A buddy of mine has a '97 7.3 and routed his into his tailpipe. It's been that way for several years. You don't smell it at all on his truck. IIRC, he has it angled into the tailpipe to prevent pressure coming back through the system.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I ran mine with 25-0 of heater hose along the frame rail and up on top of the spare tire right behind the center of the bumper. when I went up over the gas tank, at the low end I ran a tee with a short pice of hose and a cap looking down, I use this as a natural trap for the oil, easy access just pull the plug once or twice a year and drain excess oil, so far works great no mess, no smell.

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
Mine exits right in front of the left rear tire. I ran it underneath the cab and it exits right where the cab and bed meet. Used zip ties all along to hold it up. Works great. Every now and then you can smell it when you fill up and the trucks running.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ccv

I ran mine along the frame and then tucked the hose in between the fuel tank and the skid plate.

·
424 Posts
i ran mine just by the front tire..yea i smell it at times but i don't care.... i might to it different when it warms up here

·
444 Posts
teamroper60 said:
Why not run it into the exhaust? A buddy of mine has a '97 7.3 and routed his into his tailpipe. It's been that way for several years. You don't smell it at all on his truck. IIRC, he has it angled into the tailpipe to prevent pressure coming back through the system.
I tried this with mine, but there was too much back pressure in the exhaust and wouldn't allow the crankcase to vent. I put a checkvalve in just in case...glad I did. So then I just vented to atmosphere after that for a while.

Eventually I installed a CCV4500 crankcase filter because I thought pulling a vacuum on the cc with the turbo inlet is good for the engine. I can't tell that the truck runs any better, mileage doesn't seem affected, but I still believe it's the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Where did you get the ccv4500 filter at?

·
444 Posts
There are a number of places to get them on the internet: Racor CCV4500
Seems I got mine from a local Kenworth dealer that happened to have them in stock.

BTW, I think they are a bit overpriced..a couple years ago I paid around $200. Oh, and you might research another one I've seen: Provent Mann+Hummel Oil separator. It's probably cheaper than the Racor, but I couldn't tell if it would allow enough flow for our large engines. I know some folks are putting them on their little turbo diesel engines for the VW golf/jetta/passat.

Good luck.

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
ralphinnj said:
Still in the front wheel well. I agree, smells. There must be a way to run a line where it will stay clean towards the back.
me too, the worst is when you pull up to a drive thru and the 5dollar/hour kid opens the window to hand you a taco and he almost throws up !!

my truck is lifted, so my ccv dumps on the front left leaf spring and yes it's a stinky mofo !!

·
444 Posts
ssdeuce said:
hey guys i got a plan to run mine into my exhaust but theres a kit that might help http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/85465/10002/-1 or http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/97800/10002/-1
i gonna run a header evac sys to my cat delete if done correctly it will cause a vacum and draw cc pressure out (in a drag car its worth .1 sec on et on keeps plugs clean) should keep the oil build up to min.
Like I mentioned, I tried that on mine. Be forewarned....it probably will NOT work and you'll risk blowing rings with a buildup of pressure in the crankcase.

Those kits are designed for dragsters with little or no backpressure. Our exhaust systems just have too much backpressure. The venturi effect didn't work for me, just be careful and monitor closely if you attempt it. I don't recommend it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
pstrang said:
Like I mentioned, I tried that on mine. Be forewarned....it probably will NOT work and you'll risk blowing rings with a buildup of pressure in the crankcase.

Those kits are designed for dragsters with little or no backpressure. Our exhaust systems just have too much backpressure. The venturi effect didn't work for me, just be careful and monitor closely if you attempt it. I don't recommend it.
Maybe you did it wrong or something. I set mine up exactly like it is in the factory intake tube, except in the down pipe. I know it is working because small drops of oil come out of my stack sometimes and drops down the side of the truck. I am going to put a tee in the lowest part of the system to catch the oil and just use the exhaust as a vacuum pump.

Kyle

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would think that when the turbo kicks in it would suck in air at a higher rate and pressure than the exhaust would have near the end of the tail pipe, so it shouldn't make a difference right?

·
Too much into it now...
2,011 Posts
I have mine dumping out right after the tranny cross brace. Just anled it down, and cut it off.
I rarely ever can smell it. Although, it seems to be stronger right after the oil changes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts