The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to test my low pressure oil.
Is there a convenient place to connect a gauge?

·
82 Posts
When I was using my low pressure oil gauge, I had it rigged up coming off the top of a billet oil cap I bought through NUC motorsports. Yes, it can be a pain in the butt when you do an oil change, you have to disconnect it. Fifty bucks for a cap though.
Over at another forum, a member checked and double checked the measurements and they found the cover to be extremely close top the stock one in all the areas that matter.

·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, NYC,
I've seen this solution and for the longest time thought disconnecting the oil sensor every oil change was too much hastle to deal with. I'm re-thinking this now and ordered one. If it get's to be too much, I can always disconnect it while I'm not trouble-shooting.

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
The low pressure oil sender is on the oil cooler cover next to the oil filter. It's a 1-wire plug if I remember correctly. Anyway, it's 1/4-pipe. You can get a 6-9" brass pipe and a brass tee for about $15 and it won't be in your way for oil changes.

Reactions: bustedknuckles

·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot idahoF350!
That's a good solution.
I hate clunky fixes and more things to get in my way while doing maintenance. This just makes the truck less reliable.
Your idea fits my needs exactly.
Now why didn't you pipe up with that idea before I bought a billet oil filter cover!
Just kidding....the cover will look good and I was thinking of buying one eventually anyway.

·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IdahoF350,
I opened the hood and took a glance at the area around the oil filter canister. It looks a little tight.
Do you know if it can be accomplished without removing the intake manifold?

·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, took it home and looked at it again.
I found a sensor located behind and to the left of the oil filter cap.
I unplugged it and it definitely is an oil sensor of some kind, since it has oil on it.
It looks, however, like a temperature sensor, not a pressure sensor. The working end of it is a fixed casting with no holes in it.
I can see how this might work for an access point to connect my oil pressure gauge, however, I'm a little concerned that putting a tee here and moving the oil temperature sensor (if that's what it is) will degrade the performance of the oil temperature sensor.
Should I be concerned? How much difference is this going to make in the temperature reading by moving it up away from the oil cooler by an inch or 2?

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
There is no oil pressure "sensor" on a stock 6.0L, it is a SWITCH and worthless IMO.

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
I could be wrong on the location. The sensor/sender on the oil cooler, if it only has one wire, is the "switch". If it has two wires it is the temp sensor and the oil sender would be elsewhere. Moving the temp sender would change it's performance and I agree that's not a good solution.

Ifyou do locate the sender and pipe and tee a second sender in, you could always use the cap in a bypass filter system.

·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I understand, however even the switch has to have a port into the oil passage.
This port should work fine for adding a T and a real gauge.

·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree...I just haven't been able to find the sensor that has the single wire.
When I do, I will add the T here.

Is there some document that shows where to find it?
Can you suggest a few documents that I can review?

·
Just about Broke
511 Posts

·
82 Posts
I agree...I just haven't been able to find the sensor that has the single wire.
When I do, I will add the T here.

Is there some document that shows where to find it?
Can you suggest a few documents that I can review?
A few documents? How about a few FREE books to download?
You can download the whole 'bible' of the engine. It will show you everything your asking about and so much more. Reading the different volumes will give you a solid knowledge base upon which to build off of.
Here is a link to a good site which has the 2003.25, the 2004 and the 2005 model year engine "coffeetable book" available for free download.
<CLICK ME>
I also suggest reading the articles as they pertain to the 6.0, lots of great info on the site.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
If you have a '93 up Turbo Diesel, you SHOULD DOWNLOAD the appropriate "bible"! They are excellant reference materials and can be used to explain many things and answer many questions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts