The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ii was wondering where to mount the temp thingy should i tap the manifold or tap the exhaust 6" below the manifold or does it matter

·
Registered
56 Posts
defitaly manifold drivers side i think, not sure but just dont put it int he downpipe might has well get an accurate reading than melting ur motor. hopfuly a duramax guy lets u know just where to drive i think its drivers side close ot the cab, at least thats where my buddie did it was one for ht eonly spots to the the drill

·
706 Posts
Pass side, remove inner fender well,its very easy to do then.Tap the manifold,there are a few spots it can go.Ill try to find a pic of one of the ones I did. I have 2 pyros on one DMax,one in each side,and they read the exact same,so it doesnt matter which side.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey john thanks for the info , now im pretty mechanically inclined but can you tell me this the metal shavings will fall into the manifold when you drill it right, how do you keep them out or will the blow out the exhaust , hope this is not a stupid question

F

·
0 Posts
Some people take the manifold off, other just try suck them out with a vac, and small nozzle, with help from magnets. It's your choice, I have done it both ways.

·
706 Posts
taking it off is unnecessary,but many do it anyway.I took one off once,after i snapped a tap off in it,it was drivers side on cousins duramax.:damnit .

The small chips go by the turbo the instant it fires up,ive done about 30 of them that way,just drill,try to get big filings with pencil magnet,and tap,repeat.

·
1,409 Posts
Drill the hole with the engine at idle. The exhaust will be cool if it has sat for more than an hour. When the bit starts to break through go very slowly and the exhaust will blow the shavings in your face (wear glasses). I have done 3 using this method and have about 40k mi. since I did mine and no issues. If you are worried about the shavings damaging the turbo, as I was, someone told me it's on the exhaust side-don't worry. I just let it idle for about 15 min. after I was done. AND let it run while tapping the hole. Run the tap slowly, and check the depth of the probe often so it doesn't go too far.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys but you would definatley put it on passenger side rigtht

·
3,939 Posts
mckey73 said:
Drill the hole with the engine at idle. The exhaust will be cool if it has sat for more than an hour. When the bit starts to break through go very slowly and the exhaust will blow the shavings in your face (wear glasses). I have done 3 using this method and have about 40k mi. since I did mine and no issues. If you are worried about the shavings damaging the turbo, as I was, someone told me it's on the exhaust side-don't worry. I just let it idle for about 15 min. after I was done. AND let it run while tapping the hole. Run the tap slowly, and check the depth of the probe often so it doesn't go too far.
Thats the way to do it, right there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
installed this past weekend you guys are so helpful its working like a champ when i peg it from a spooled up launch up to 100 mph i saw no more than 1250 degrees that was with the quadzilla 215hp and propane, but i did thrw the tranny in limpmode so now we are tearing the tranny apart thanks again guys

·
3,939 Posts
GREASELMAX6.6 said:
installed this past weekend you guys are so helpful its working like a champ when i peg it from a spooled up launch up to 100 mph i saw no more than 1250 degrees that was with the quadzilla 215hp and propane, but i did thrw the tranny in limpmode so now we are tearing the tranny apart thanks again guys
LOL yup, now its the tranny. Mods beget mods. LOL

Its a slippery slope you're on, Greasel. But its a fun ride.

BTW, how's that S&B intake treating you? I'm thinking of buying one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts