The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called a Dodge dealership today to get a price on the solenoid......$500.00. There's no way in Hell, I'm paying that. Can anyone direct me towards "A deal", meaning $100.00, or less?. It would take me 4 days of work to pay what Dodge is asking. Thanks for any help I get.

·
1,836 Posts
Look for a old VW 1600 diesel, mid 80's. Can't remember where but saw from one of the sites solenoid for $35 + handling & freight. That ought to make it under $100 :) You may find it at a local independent parts counter - if there is one nearby.

keydl

·
444 Posts
The same solenoid is used on 85-89 VW Golf Diesel. I went looking for a part # and didn't find one. Yet

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
keydl said:
Look for a old VW 1600 diesel, mid 80's. Can't remember where but saw from one of the sites solenoid for $35 + handling & freight. That ought to make it under $100 :) You may find it at a local independent parts counter - if there is one nearby.

keydl
Keydl, I wanted to thank you. I found one at a VW parts site for 40.00 + shipping. I would have never thought a VW would have that part. Thanks amillion!.

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bigdaddysdaddy said:
Keydl, I wanted to thank you. I found one at a VW parts site for 40.00 + shipping. I would have never thought a VW would have that part. Thanks amillion!.
What bothers me most is how Dodge is really F-ing their customers. The dealer I called told me these solenoids are a big seller, and at $500.00 a pop. Thats B.S.!

·
1,836 Posts
There is a diode that the 2nd gen have (aftermarket) to protect the solinoid from the starter induced current. I don't have a wiring diag to figure out where to put it.

The item would be something like a 4A 400 PIV diode that stops the inductive kick from the starter solinoid.

Kind of gives you a little insite on the manufctures markup though.

keydl

·
16 Posts
I got mine for old truck at dieselvw.com 10$ + 4$ shipping recieved in 2 1/2 days.

·
TDG Mafia Member #56
2,050 Posts
921stgen said:
I got mine for old truck at dieselvw.com 10$ + 4$ shipping recieved in 2 1/2 days.
Thanks for the link.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts