The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was curious im asking for a friend of mine it was simple on my duramax i pulled passenger inner fenderwell and drilled and tapped the manifold had it hooked up and working in less than an hour, we have his coming and will be here by the weekend so my questionis since there both v motors would it be the same:smoke

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
I would never drill and tap the exhaust manifold installed. You can never get all of the metal out and if some of that metal goes through the turbo and has fun then it is time for a new turbo. I would spend the extra time and pull the manifold then drill and tap. Just make a mark on the manifold before you pull it for reference to where you want it. It isn't that hard to pull the manifold. I had mine out in about 10-20min. Good luck.

·
862 Posts
jdydiesel said:
I would never drill and tap the exhaust manifold installed. You can never get all of the metal out and if some of that metal goes through the turbo and has fun then it is time for a new turbo. I would spend the extra time and pull the manifold then drill and tap. Just make a mark on the manifold before you pull it for reference to where you want it. It isn't that hard to pull the manifold. I had mine out in about 10-20min. Good luck.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with drilling and tapping the manifold while it is still on the truck. Nearly all the metal shavings fall out when you drill, and the ones that don't fall - pass easily through the turbo when you start up the first time without damaging the turbo. At idle, the turbo is not really spooling and is not under load, so there's no worry. Hundreds and hundreds of PSD owners have installed pyro probes this way, and not a single one has damaged a turbo due to metal shavings. Not a single one.

·
172 Posts
Pocket said:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with drilling and tapping the manifold while it is still on the truck. Nearly all the metal shavings fall out when you drill, and the ones that don't fall - pass easily through the turbo when you start up the first time without damaging the turbo. At idle, the turbo is not really spooling and is not under load, so there's no worry. Hundreds and hundreds of PSD owners have installed pyro probes this way, and not a single one has damaged a turbo due to metal shavings. Not a single one.

curtis is spot on...

if you really want to be extra careful grease up the bit nice and good but most filings will fall out naturally

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
has anyone ever cracked one taping it?

·
862 Posts
camojeeper said:
has anyone ever cracked one taping it?
I guess you could. But it's always best any time you drill like this to start with smaller bits, and work your way up in size. That way you get a nice clean hole, and very small metal shavings.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
stepin the drill text book LOL LOL i was concerned about the taping end of it my truck is still post turbo. ya ya i know but thats how it was when i bought the truck and now mods have forced me to move my probe im just a liitle leary of tapping the manifold and ideas would be great. i got about a week till my dp tuner gets here i will need it then for sure thanks steve sorry to jack yr thred

·
Registered
204 Posts
GREASELMAX6.6 said:
i was curious im asking for a friend of mine it was simple on my duramax i pulled passenger inner fenderwell and drilled and tapped the manifold had it hooked up and working in less than an hour, we have his coming and will be here by the weekend so my questionis since there both v motors would it be the same:smoke

No need to pull the fenderwell on a psd. Just slide under the truck, and there will be plenty of room to get a drill/tap to the drivers side manifold before the up-pipe. I have installed mine and a few others like that. No issues with shavings either. :Thumbup:

·
Registered
204 Posts
camojeeper said:
stepin the drill text book LOL LOL i was concerned about the taping end of it my truck is still post turbo. ya ya i know but thats how it was when i bought the truck and now mods have forced me to move my probe im just a liitle leary of tapping the manifold and ideas would be great. i got about a week till my dp tuner gets here i will need it then for sure thanks steve sorry to jack yr thred

Just be patient, so you don't break the tap off in the manifold. I always turn the tap a few cranks, then back it out a little to loosen up the shavings from the cutting edge. You can feel the shavings loosen when you back it out a little. This keeps the part that is cutting cleaner.......

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
so its just like tapping anything else or should i be worried about the cast cracking?
any one got any pics?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Click Here

This should give you exact instructions. I have not ever cracked the cast, but there were a few people that said they have. I use a 5/16 drill bit to tap an 1/8 nipple thread hole without any issues.

·
6,337 Posts
Drill, tap and install...done 20-30 trucks myself...

Attachments

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
thanks ryan so does this mean i cant zip tie it in?? the guy at ford said just zip tie it in LOL LOL LOL LOL

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks guys what i found with mine on my 02 duramax was to let the truck sit and when you get ready to drill turn the truck on and let it idle, and step up a 32nd of an inch till you reach the final size with the truck idling it blew what little bit of dust like shavings back in my face, but thanks i was just wondering if the ford was different than the dmax as far as where to put it

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey csipsd what side of the motor are those pics from

·
6,337 Posts
One is drivers side and one is passanger side. Both are from under the truck looking up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
but the readings will be the same either side just like on a dmax

·
6,337 Posts
Within 50-75 degrees... Passanger side seems to run hotter all the time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts