The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have been looking at both the F-250 4 door short bed & the Chevy Duramax.
I did not like the way the Chevy motor sounded or the way the truck drove.
I also think the fron end loogs terrible!
I have been a Chevy man for ever but have never had a diesel truck.
I'm very close to picking the Ford but the one thing I'm worried about is reading about how bad the milage is. I've heard that it improves with time & I have also heard of a few minor modifications that seem to help.
Just wondering if anyone out there is experiencing decent milage? out of their Fords???
 

·
Member
Joined
·
43 Posts
I dont have any information on mods because I personally havent done any..
But I can tell you that I have 13300 miles and my fuel mileage isnt that good.
I like my truck and plan on a programmer with DPF delete tune in the future.
As far as mileage goes, it doesnt get any worse than my 2004 4x4 Super Crew
Lariat with a 5.4 liter did.........................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I would stay away from the Ford. I too have been Chevy loyal for 20+ yrs and traded a '04 6.6 2500HD for a '08 6.4 F-350 and have traded IT back in for a '08 6.6 3500HD. It took just 4 mths to get enough of the the problems I was having, to go back. I got Ford to give me an extended warranty (5yrs/100k miles bumper to bumper $100 deductable) to pacify my concerns. But the truck just will not perform as advertised. The fuel milage: 11.5 city / 14.5 hwy / 9.5 hwy towing. And I do not have a heavy foot. My '04 Chevy 2500HD got 15.5 city / 21.5 hwy and 13.5 hwy towing. Perhaps the regeneration cycle is killing the milage. I will watch and compare the new Chevy. The Ford shudders badly under load and Ford cannot alliviate the problem. $52,000 is a lot of money and I expected a lot of truck for it. Boy, was I surprised and dissapointed. Even my wife said "get rid of it". She also drives it with the horses loaded and has had enough of it. She thinks the truck is "falling apart" under her! Be very carefull of tuners / programmers since Ford is First looking to see if they have been installed should you have a problem. Ford will point to it and say "There's your problem" and will void the warranty. I tried a programmer to increase the fuel milage but it did not help. It caused the regeneration cycle to occur more frequently since more fuel was being dumped in for more power. The regen uses a lot of fuel. So I got nowhere trying it. I didn't mean to get on the "Soap Box" and start preaching, but this has been my experience.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
589 Posts
I wouldn`t buy anof the big 3`s 08`s! Look for a new 07 or a 07 with little miles on it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I agree. I searched far and wide but couldn't find the truck I wanted / needed. I was looking for a new truck iso used. All I could find was a dually chevy but colors were all wrong for s. florida and I need a single rear wheel since i am in town alot and on dirt roads alot too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
the ford is a good choice.ive only got 4500 miles on mine but so far its been the best truck iv ever owned
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Which 08 to buy

I was kind of in the same boat you were. I did a 180 degree flip. I found a used 2003.5 F-350 King Ranch. 60K miles. I got it for $22k. The guys took off the Cat and has 4" down from the engine and 5 1/2" inches out the tail. Mileage so far is about 20 on the HWY and 16 in town.

The new 08' F-350 was going to set me back $50k+. I plan to keep this for a few years and let Ford get the bugs out of the 6.4.
Good Luck
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
304 Posts
I would not pay all that $$money$$ and purchase another Ford until they can prove that they are using high quality RELIABLE diesel engines!! Get a V-10 Ford if you really have to have the Ford truck. They are very nice, I love the Ford's but I will NEVER trust them again until they have a 3-5 year reliable run with their diesel motors (like the 7.3)!! The other prob with Ford is that they are (warranty voiding happy!) It's just ridiculous what they do to people even when the mod didn't directly cause the failed part etc....People say they can't do that but they do it all the time!

I went LMM Dmax and it rocks! 15k miles and it gets 16 mpg in town?? From all the forums and people I have talked to, the Dmax is hands down the most powerful and reliable of all the DPF motors! Cummins is close behind, but it comes with that Dodge truck chinsy cheap truck crap.... Do what ya want but that's my .02 cents.......
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
2,126 Posts
The new trucks are starting to get better mileage. Don't let the two people on here that don't like there new Fords sway your decision. A person who doesn't like something will tell tens times as many people as someone who really likes something. The trucks don't get that bad of mileage. I never got more than 15MPG in my 6.0 or 7.3. You won't be disappointed in your truck.
 

·
SeaPig
Joined
·
241 Posts
I will have to agree with my North West brother on this one. (Not that I have disagreed with him yet):sly:
F-450 with 4:88's and I am up to almost 15MPG when it comes to Highway driving. I am just under 5000 miles with the truck and have done NOTHING to it other than change the oil, and put fuel in it.
It rides like a dream and was put together by professionals. What more can I ask for:shrug:
~Mike~:usflag
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
748 Posts
Shadow Chaser said:
I would stay away from the Ford. I too have been Chevy loyal for 20+ yrs and traded a '04 6.6 2500HD for a '08 6.4 F-350 and have traded IT back in for a '08 6.6 3500HD. It took just 4 mths to get enough of the the problems I was having, to go back. I got Ford to give me an extended warranty (5yrs/100k miles bumper to bumper $100 deductable) to pacify my concerns. But the truck just will not perform as advertised. The fuel milage: 11.5 city / 14.5 hwy / 9.5 hwy towing. And I do not have a heavy foot. My '04 Chevy 2500HD got 15.5 city / 21.5 hwy and 13.5 hwy towing. Perhaps the regeneration cycle is killing the milage. I will watch and compare the new Chevy. The Ford shudders badly under load and Ford cannot alliviate the problem. $52,000 is a lot of money and I expected a lot of truck for it. Boy, was I surprised and dissapointed. Even my wife said "get rid of it". She also drives it with the horses loaded and has had enough of it. She thinks the truck is "falling apart" under her! Be very carefull of tuners / programmers since Ford is First looking to see if they have been installed should you have a problem. Ford will point to it and say "There's your problem" and will void the warranty. I tried a programmer to increase the fuel milage but it did not help. It caused the regeneration cycle to occur more frequently since more fuel was being dumped in for more power. The regen uses a lot of fuel. So I got nowhere trying it. I didn't mean to get on the "Soap Box" and start preaching, but this has been my experience.
I don't think it is fair to compare mileage on the 04 Chevy to the 08 Ford. Completely different emissions regulations which is the cause to the poor mileage on the Ford. But, if you are a Chevy guy, then buy an ugly Chevy and tell yourself you are happy. No matter how they run or what kind of mileage they get, you have to agree that the new Chevy is butt ugly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,148 Posts
MDCrabber said:
Hello,
I have been looking at both the F-250 4 door short bed & the Chevy Duramax.
I did not like the way the Chevy motor sounded or the way the truck drove.
I also think the fron end loogs terrible!
I have been a Chevy man for ever but have never had a diesel truck.
I'm very close to picking the Ford but the one thing I'm worried about is reading about how bad the milage is. I've heard that it improves with time & I have also heard of a few minor modifications that seem to help.
Just wondering if anyone out there is experiencing decent milage? out of their Fords???
MD......Welcome

Let me order you a truck Exactly like you want it. You can get 3:55 gears for better fuel mileage.

Fords are the BEST CHOICE..................period..............

randy
 

·
Member
Joined
·
208 Posts
d man thats the best u can do is call a truck ugly .hes not asking which one looks better .hes asking about mileage on the o8 and the best combo for that is the durmax/allision.even performance wise u cant bet it:squish
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
748 Posts
chorizosdmax said:
d man thats the best u can do is call a truck ugly .hes not asking which one looks better .hes asking about mileage on the o8 and the best combo for that is the durmax/allision.even performance wise u cant bet it:squish
All I was saying is, if he wants better mileage then buy the D-max but, it is ugly. So, some knock the ford because of mileage and I don't disagree, and I knock the Chevy because it's ugly and most will agree with me on that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
i dont think the ne ford or chevy look good at all if i were to buy a truck it would be a new dodge or Gmc they look better to me and u dont hav to hav an ugly truck to get the dmax/ allison if u buy a gmc pretty much the same exact truck ! so its up to you in which truck u buy dont listen to people telll u to buy this or that listen to the people who answer your question, like the fuel milage i hav heard from alot of my friends that the new ford is not a bad truck just the milage isnt too good... if u like the truck then buy which one suits ur needs and likes
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
29 Posts
Im in the same boat. Trying to decided between the Big 3. Ive ruled-out chevy bc of my height. Chevy's crew cab is small when seat pushed back. So, that leaves me with Stroke or Mega Cab Cummins. Stroke gas milage and 5 spd tranny scares me. Interior is awesome and second to none. Cummins Mega cab space is great but interior features lack bells and whistles. The mpgs are better I hear. Read an article that ranked Chevy, Ford, and Dodge diesel engines while pulling 12K load. Ford was worst in mpg and times with load. Dodge and Chevy ran neck and neck. Chevy won due to slightly better mpgs. To complicate things, dodge 1500 body style is changing this year. 2500 is close behind. Someone make the decision for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
fmfreight said:
Im in the same boat. Trying to decided between the Big 3. Ive ruled-out chevy bc of my height. Chevy's crew cab is small when seat pushed back. So, that leaves me with Stroke or Mega Cab Cummins. Stroke gas milage and 5 spd tranny scares me. Interior is awesome and second to none. Cummins Mega cab space is great but interior features lack bells and whistles. The mpgs are better I hear. Read an article that ranked Chevy, Ford, and Dodge diesel engines while pulling 12K load. Ford was worst in mpg and times with load. Dodge and Chevy ran neck and neck. Chevy won due to slightly better mpgs. To complicate things, dodge 1500 body style is changing this year. 2500 is close behind. Someone make the decision for me.
buy the ford
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
I'd say if you want a Fugly low to the ground truck with small tires, buy the bowtie. Man who ever designed that thing should be fired. I do like the motor and trans combo but could never drive around in one. LOL
 

·
Now Cummins Powered
Joined
·
234 Posts
I must say I was real worried at first when i bought my 08 6.4, the mileage was pretty bad between 11.5-13 on a good day. NOW, it has steadily slowly began to rise and my average is up to 14.7-15.5 overall. If you get into the go pedal it does go down very fast, I've just learned to drive a little slower (safer) and get into it when I really need to, like merging on the highway. Overall I love the truck and am very happy with my decision.
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Top