The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which is better, the lbz or the lly, or is either one a good starting point, and are their any mechanical differences between the gmc and chevy 2500's they come in, or is it all styling? also with these trucks being egr'd what kind of options do you get for mods? thanks

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh and by 06 was the over heating problem solved in the lly? or was it only corrected in the lbz?

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
The LBZ with the six speed allison are a great truck, my brothers got one and he loves it. The late lly's and all lbz don't have an overheating issue that I'm aware of, some of the others may know more. Both are a good starting point though. There is little difference between a GM and a Chevy, mostly aesthetics.
As for the EGR, a blocker plate is installed in between the egr and the intake, and you will need a EGR code blocker which are pretty cheap.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
The LBZ with the six speed allison are a great truck, my brothers got one and he loves it. The late lly's and all lbz don't have an overheating issue that I'm aware of, some of the others may know more. Both are a good starting point though. There is little difference between a GM and a Chevy, mostly aesthetics.
As for the EGR, a blocker plate is installed in between the egr and the intake, and you will need a EGR code blocker which are pretty cheap.
I sure do

No overheating issues with 06 and up lly-lbz engines, the 06 lly-lbz are virtually identical, the lly is just tuned for 310hp and the lbz is tuned for 360hp
the LBZ/LMM pistons are known to crack under extreme timing and fueling, if you keep your tuning conservative you will not have a problem:D

the 04.5-05 LLY is very well known for its overheating issues, and if i were going to be buying a duramax i would avoid the LLY, i would pick an LB7 or LBZ, or maybe an LMM

LB7's have issues with injectors, but gm has a injector warranty of 7years or 200,000miles, so if i were going to buy a n LB7 i would but an 04 with low miles, so your covered for as long as possible:thumbsup
You can buy a EGR block off plate and EGR code eliminator "fingerstick" from Kennedy diesel, just search it on google::happymugs

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
I love my LBZ:thumbsup

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
which is better, the lbz or the lly, or is either one a good starting point, and are their any mechanical differences between the gmc and chevy 2500's they come in, or is it all styling? also with these trucks being egr'd what kind of options do you get for mods? thanks
I think the '06 & up LBZ or LMM is the ticket. You get the best engine power & tranny combo.

There's no difference except styling between GMC/Chevy. They come down the same assembly lines.

I wouldn't walk from the earlier ones, but 360-365 and a six speed with manual shift ability is better than 310 and a 5 speed without. :thumbsup

·
Registered
11 Posts
They are both great with pluses and minuses.

The LLY can use DSP5 switch on the fly tuning,

The LBZ cant but has a stronger 6 speed trans.

Stock vs stock LBZ IS better.

But MOdded they both can be equal

if you want big mods, save your money and buy an older truck, then you can build the trans/converter and throw a big EFI tune in it and have a bad hot rod.

Its up to you. Any truck you buy reguardless of make or year has issues to be upgraded to make them faster and more powerful, its up to your wallet!

·
49 Posts
They are both great with pluses and minuses.

The LLY can use DSP5 switch on the fly tuning,

The LBZ cant but has a stronger 6 speed trans.

Stock vs stock LBZ IS better.

But MOdded they both can be equal

if you want big mods, save your money and buy an older truck, then you can build the trans/converter and throw a big EFI tune in it and have a bad hot rod.

Its up to you. Any truck you buy reguardless of make or year has issues to be upgraded to make them faster and more powerful, its up to your wallet!
Well said Tim

·
32 Posts
Good info,I am thinking about selling my truck now.I need a good work truck.
Had an 06 dodge love the motor hated going through ball joints and universal joints at 19,000 and again at 42,000

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Any of the DMAX powered trucks would make good work trucks. They all have allison transmissions and 11.5" locking rears. That right there is a hard working combo. Look at it this way, you could have a Ford transmission and a 10.5" limited slip. lol

I would say if you can get the 6 speed tranny and the extra HP of the later models, you'd have even more truck than the older ones.

·
32 Posts
I have been looking at 06s seem to be a good year. Now I just need to sell my truck.I dont want to, but getting to busy with work.

·
Registered
58 Posts
..well being an 06 lbz owner....X 2 on pretty much everything all have said above. Great truck, great tranny, great motor. other than that..pretty much std maintenace issues...expect to see wheel bearing assys go at the 150-200 KM mark or 100 to 130k miles..larger tires will make em go sooner.

ISS is an issue.. (actually more of a PITA), but fixes are out there.
Pretty good mileage: 18.5 -20 at 115kmh or 65 mph
Way less emissiom crapola than the LMM
lotsa cojones with 360 hp and ~650 ft lbs torque

I'm lovin mine.!!

cheers...and when ya get one...come on back and show us what ya got..!!
Suggest however you put a time lock on your wallet. :D

Cheers and good hunting..!

Stk

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
..well being an 06 lbz owner....X 2 on pretty much everything all have said above. Great truck, great tranny, great motor. other than that..pretty much std maintenace issues...expect to see wheel bearing assys go at the 150-200 KM mark or 100 to 130k miles..larger tires will make em go sooner.

ISS is an issue.. (actually more of a PITA), but fixes are out there.
Pretty good mileage: 18.5 -20 at 115kmh or 65 mph
Way less emissiom crapola than the LMM
lotsa cojones with 360 hp and ~650 ft lbs torque

I'm lovin mine.!!

cheers...and when ya get one...come on back and show us what ya got..!!
Suggest however you put a time lock on your wallet. :D

Cheers and good hunting..!

Stk
LOL just do what I do, dont get paid enough to buy any toys :haha :thumbsup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts