The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my brother-in-law is wanting to buy another diesel truck. He has a 2004 ford and he hasn't had any trouble with it, like what we've heard of. So he was wanting to buy another truck and doesn't know how the cummins are. I know that cummins are good, but we've heard about the doges having trouble in the past. He is wanting around a 2003 to 2005 or so. Just thought i could get some suggestions on which one would be the better deal. I have a 7.3 and would never get rid of it. So whatever help i can get is greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
17 Posts
powerstroke

i have a 2000 7.3 and i love it , would not go with anything else. go with the big dawg. 7.3 all the way

·
148 Posts
I'm a Ford guy and always have been. At the beginning of last year I wanted a truck to tow my Jeep with and knew I wanted a 7.3. When I bought it, I had no intention of modding it ...and I was happy.

Now after a couple "cheap" mods, the bug has bit me and I'm realizing how expensive it is to get real horsepower (and torque) out of the Fords. The big mods you need for real HP; injectors, turbos, HPOPs, etc. are ridiculously expensive. I have a buddy with a 12v CTD and for less than the cost of any one of those mods, can get his damn close to 400 HP. For mine, I would need all three to hit that mark. If I had it to do over, knowing I want big HP, I would have gotten a CTD. :-\

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've got both and they both have their ups and downs. The dodge is ALOT more comfortable and quiet. I've never towed with it though so I can't tell you how it is there. Towing is strictly for the Ford, the Dodge is my baby. The Ford's been getting better gas milage (when not towing). I have the same mods on both (just a flashpaq on each) and the Dodge diffently responded better to the program. It wins when we race the two every time. I perfer the Dodge (but I'm dodge kind of girl). In my opinion, so long as it's deisel it can't really be wrong! HAHA

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oh and if he goes with Dodge get a auto, the gears in the six speed is steep and gets annoying real quick... I don't regret getting the manual but when it comes to city traffic (and racing) I wish I had an auto.

·
204 Posts
yea the CTS makes way more power for the money.... it sucks only having 2 valves per cylinder.

·
1,726 Posts
97_powerstroke said:
Ok, my brother-in-law is wanting to buy another diesel truck. He has a 2004 ford and he hasn't had any trouble with it, like what we've heard of. So he was wanting to buy another truck and doesn't know how the cummins are. I know that cummins are good, but we've heard about the doges having trouble in the past. He is wanting around a 2003 to 2005 or so. Just thought i could get some suggestions on which one would be the better deal. I have a 7.3 and would never get rid of it. So whatever help i can get is greatly appreciated. Thanks
If I was planning on buying a 03 to 05 pickup, and thank god I am not, I would probably be leaning toward the Dodge. I know a lot of the 6.0's are ok but I have heard many horror stories and have seen a few first hand (my buddy has an 03 6.0) I would personally be shopping for 04 to 05 Fords, and any 03 to 05 Dodge or GM. IMHO steer clear of the 03 6.0's otherwise I don't think there is that much difference in repair work.

Don't let brand influence the oppion at all. I am a GM man at heart, but when I was shopping for a truck the only ones that I would concider were Dodges with a manual or a Ford. I just looked for anything problematic and stayed away from it. The only GM diesel that is worth a crap is the D-Max in my oppion. I was shopping for a truck in the 7 to 10K range so a D-max was out of the question.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Your B-I-L sounds like he already has a '04 diesel, is that right? If he does, and he "hasn't had any trouble with it", why change??? Because of what might happen?

·
1,726 Posts
FireHunter said:
Your B-I-L sounds like he already has a '04 diesel, is that right? If he does, and he "hasn't had any trouble with it", why change??? Because of what might happen?
Very true!

You always have a chance of getting a bad apple no matter what you buy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I may differ from many in my opinion but for me no vehicle is right stock. Look for the best platform to start with for your needs and build from there. If I was in the market for a new truck I would still go with a Ford. In my experience the Ford is a better tow rig, YMMV, plus Dodge hasn't had a real crewcab until recently, and I don't like the idea of IFS 4x4 front in a 1-ton truck.

So if he has a 6L powered truck, instead of dropping a bunch of coin on a newer or different truck have him look into what can be done to replace or upgrade parts on the 6L to avoid the potential of problems and get some more power. He will spend less on upgrades to the current truck than he will on a new truck. Some people however just have to have a new vehicle every now and then, I am not one of them, I would rather have the money in the bank. That is why my truck is paid for. :woot:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts