The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys it's been a while.. i recently got a Goerend Bros. Tranny and TC put in my truck and man what a difference! I also had Edge stage 4 (125 hp) injector nozzles installed.. now im in the market for a programmer, i have an ottomind tuner that came with the banks power pack.. but i want to get rid of it and get something else.. was thinking the edge drag comp (i already have gauges), but a guy my brother knows said go with bully dog, i havent heard much about them.. i figured i'd ask for opinions on TDG to be sure! and i read in here about TST??? never heard of them either...any suggestions? (after i get a programmer and see how she runs, im lookin to get a new turbo.. suggestions?) thanks guys!

·
Boost Junkie
318 Posts
I would get the Edge box or a smarty. TST is another good one. But i would probabaly go with the smarty if i was buying it.

·
Cummins Man
980 Posts
I would go with a comp or TST box if you are looking for more then a extra 60 hp. Smarty will add about 60Hp to a stock truck were a comp will add 120 and so will a TST. Stay away from Bully Dog, they are only 60hp and pricey.

Andy

·
3,514 Posts
Smartys I believe are 685 or something, and can be stacked with a fueling box as well. A lot of people really like them for the vp44 24v.

www.madselectonics.com or www.smartypower.com either one will take you to the same site. Bully Dog is okay and great on the CR motors but Edge and TST really seem to make some of the best programers. I wouldn't forget about Bluechipdiesel either. They make an FMS which is way more than a box, and comes with the price but IMO they are pretty cool, but don't do timing advance.

Simple answer is just go with the edge, it will do everything you need and you'll be really happy with it.
Sean

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so which would you get if you wanted a pretty fast truck? (considering what i already have) an edge drag comp? or the FMS? regardless of price.... and im planning on a new turbo too(dont know what kind or size yet) so... consider that in your pointers! thanks guys!

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
id go SMARTY I saw in the ads that BIG DODGE had them for like 575 new...thats a GREAT price!!! id hit him up and see if he still has em. the SMARTY will take care of all of your timing while the comp will take care of plenty of fuel. thats my 2 cents...

·
Cummins Man
980 Posts
HCCUMMINSSMOKE said:
id go SMARTY I saw in the ads that BIG DODGE had them for like 575 new...thats a GREAT price!!! id hit him up and see if he still has em. the SMARTY will take care of all of your timing while the comp will take care of plenty of fuel. thats my 2 cents...
I dont see how he is selling them for $575. They are a fixed price item and not allowed to be sold cheaper then $649.

Andy

·
Cummins Man
980 Posts
What I'm saying is if he is a dealer for them, that is the way I took it. If it is just a everyday customer then he is fine. Sorry if I was confused or confused you.

Andy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how is the performer fuel system compared to a FASS? looks like they are alot cheaper but are they as good a system?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how is your fuel pressure? mine gets down to 5-6 WOT sometimes... normal driving is like 10 or so.. there is a BD bypass pump on my truck already, but should i upgrade my injector pump to some hot rod VP44 instead of stock?

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
that would be a very good idea....has anyone heard about the new MONSTER VP44 pump thats soon to come out??? i heard some talk on dodge-diesel.org about it...3 stages...1&2 are streetable, and 3 holds like 1100hp!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Cummins Man
980 Posts
cmac44 said:
how is your fuel pressure? mine gets down to 5-6 WOT sometimes... normal driving is like 10 or so.. there is a BD bypass pump on my truck already, but should i upgrade my injector pump to some hot rod VP44 instead of stock?

When I had guage on it I could never get below 13PSI. I'm one of the few running without a permanent guage.

·
3,514 Posts
What are you really looking to do with the truck? The Bluechipdiesel FMS is a nice streetable setup where as there Redline box is a very hot box, but it can be turned down. The nice feature is that you can adjust Fueling RPM all the way up to 4000 with the redline, you can also set it to defuel based on EGT, and you can adjust fueling level as well. Also if you have a timing box, you can plug it into the red line or FMS and adjust how much timing you are running.

they run about 1200, and stacked with a smarty I think it would be very good combo. The smarty is an actual programmer though and changes a lot of ECM settings, whereas most other boxes are just fueling and timing boxes, and just increase both.
Sean

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
its my everyday driver, so i want it to be reliable and drive good... but, i want it to be fast.. dont plan on pulling with it, other than my boat once in a while.. so here's my problem- fuel pressure gets down to 5-6 WOT, so with that can i get an edge drag comp (pretty sure that's the box i want) without upgrading my injection pump? or would i have to do both?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts