The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK NEWBIE HERE, I AM A LITTLE CONFUSED I THINK ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO LAY WAX ON FIRST THEN WIPE CLEAN THEN LAY ON POLISH AND CLEAN WITH MICRO?:gaah

·
1,660 Posts
Nope you got it backwards my friend.

polish first. polish will remove light blemishes and shine the paint. follow up with a wax to protect the surface after you polish. Wax is a protector, if you polish after you wax you will remove the wax.

check out adams they have nice products.

·
Green Goose No Juice
160 Posts
How long should i wait until i polish? My truck is 3 months old.. I waxed it for the first time about 2 weeks ago for the first time

·
2,126 Posts
How long should i wait until i polish? My truck is 3 months old.. I waxed it for the first time about 2 weeks ago for the first time
You can polish anytime, but you are going to want to strip your wax before polishing.

·
803 Posts
I think you will be surprised at how rough the factory paint job is. After you wash the entire vehicle ( I use dawn dish soap to strip all the old wax off) Get a baggie sandwich bag and place you hand inside it. Gentle run you fingers over the paint, and if it's rough, then I'd suggest a clay bar be used. If it feels smooth, then Swirl & Haze remover, polish to a shine and wax to protect it.

Good Luck..

·
3 Posts

·
PitBullPowerStroker
154 Posts
I like to do a thorough slow washing and then follow with a claybar.
Then i use a liquid paint cleaner, then a polish and lastly a coat of wax.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Always polish before putting on paint protection.

Polishing is paint correction.
Wax is paint protection.

Paint correction:
  • sanding
  • compound
  • polish

Paint Protection:
  • car wax
  • car sealant
  • ceramic coating
  • paint protection film

Here you have a full 8-step guide on how to prepare a car for paint protection:
Best Tools for Ceramic Coating Your Car!

It is Ceramic Coating in this guide, but you can really use any type of paint protection that you like. Polishing is included in the guide so you have a better visualization of what the process looks like from start to finish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts