The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my quest to install a 6.2 in my 93 astro i am having a hard time choosing a transmission the current trans in the van is a 4l60e i also have a 700r4 trans but what i think i am understanding i cant use either trans because they are for a 4.3 gas engine so what are my choices from here i dont tow anything and most of my driving is highway any info would be appreciated thanks

·
582 Posts
The 4.3 trans will bolt. The 4L60 and 700R4 are practically the same trans, other than a few electronic controls. The only concern using the 4.3 trans is the lack of holding power from not using as many clutches, otherwise, they would work ok. The other problem is the converter stall speed. Diesels stall at lower rpm's than gassers, but if you don't mind a little wind, it would work. Gasser tend to stall at about 1200, I don't know the spec of the diesel stall though.

·
582 Posts
In essence, no, however a friend of mine recently ran into a funny thing, a gas trans had a heavier duty input than the diesel trans he took out, so that is a possibility to run into, but they will bolt and work going both ways. The internals are the same generally.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts