The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have been a gm owner all my life and a couple years ago made the mistake of buying a Ford f-350. All the gm's i have owned have been 1/2 ton models and outside of the 86' model all have been gas burners.

My question to yall is which year gmc or chevy should i buy? I have heard that the 2006 model duramax(the first one in that year) has been the most dependable. I have a 32' gooseneck that i haul light to very heavy loads of hay and other things on. I need a 4x4 and one that is dependable. The ford I have is a hoss but I have gone through all the egr and headgasket problems and I am sick of the repair bills. I knew better than to buy a ford. I am completely against buying a new truck for I feel that 50k is ludacris for a truck. I have always bought slightly used to used vehicles so the year is not a concern for me. I am more concerned with the dependability of the vehicle. Any advice on year model would be very helpful. Thank you so much for your time.

·
Cummins Tower
83 Posts
i have an 02 and 06 with the lbz motor and love them both if your lookin for newer and depenable get the lbz duramax. they were in the later 06's and the early 07's. and they got the six speed allison behind them.

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
The '06-'07 LBZ's are a good choice they are pre-heavy emissions equipment and have good power. If you don't mind emissions equipment the '07-'10 LMM's are good trucks too.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
I love my LBZ, its a beast:rock

·
212 Posts
i went from an 08 dodge to an '11 duramax. emissions stuff dont bother me because the extra fuel for regen goes into the exhaust pipe instead of the cylinder. never get into the oil. also i am getting the same fuel mileage as my deleted 08 dodge. i also believe the transmission was beefed up for the lml engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am in a similar situation and every post I have read on any forum or popular mechanics review or anywhere else says STICK WITH 2006-2007 LBZ Duramax. I am scrambling to find something like that in my area and it looks like I have to drive about 3-6 hours to get one.

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
and there's the rub. because its a popular model its getting harder to find them

·