The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which would you buy the V10 or the 6.0? I know the 6.0 is great for some and the pits for some. But the v10 is a major gas hog also! but the price of diesel is always $.40-$.60 cents higher plus that extra cost of the diesel motor. :shrug:

·
571 Posts
Agreed, wouldn't touch a V10.

·
Diesel Pro
899 Posts
They both suck. The V-10 blows the #9 spark plug out the side of the block. Sucks to fix trust me my Girlfriend had one for haulin horse trailers. The 6.0 just has to many problems to buy one.

·
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What would you buy then?

·
16 Posts
Here is a list of my trucks I have had you can figure out what engine I like better

03 F250 V10
04 F350 6.0
05 F250 6.0
07 F250 6.0

The 03 v10 I had was good no problems other then filling up all the time. I have an 07 Outlaw 6.0 and love it

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
I would get the 6.0 and never look back. The 6.0 isn't as bad as its made out to be

·
331 Posts
kip said:
I would get the 6.0 and never look back. The 6.0 isn't as bad as its made out to be
Agreed MY frist one was a pile but the next one is awsome and would buy another one to. I think that alot of the problems poeple are having is but becuse lack of maintance and or trying to tweek more power the they were desinged for. I also was going to start tweeking mine but it has been so reliable that I don't want to mess with it. 50000 trouble free Sorry I needed a new insterment cluster. I change fuel filters every 10,000 (is probily the number one thing). I also run two cycle oil with every tank. I think some guys running tunes are also trouble free not 100% sure.

:usflag

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
I agree but from what I have learned on this great forum:kissazz You can even do mods if you do them right don't run a tuner, exhaust, air intake, nos.
Then get made cuz the dealer won't change you HG under warrenty when studs are something you should have done I think anyways. my:2cents thats all.

·
331 Posts
That's only my :2cents to. I think I'am more scared to tune mine after all my problems with the last one and it was stock. I'am looking at doing exhaust and intake on nine but I need gauges frist. (from what Ive been told)

·
resident mason
343 Posts
The 6.0. I had a 01 v10 in an f350 that thing was not only a gas hog but couldn't get out of it's own way. My 04 6.0 was a good engine just had tranny and turb problems. If you get a later model they had the issues ironed out mostly.

·
The Guy Mom Warned About
2,568 Posts
I had a V10 in a cc long bed, and thought it was a great motor. I have a V10 in an F550, that hauls 10-12k on a daily basis 82,000 miles and no problems. I also have an '04 6.0 with NO PROBLEMS. Now which motor would I go for? the diesel of course. But I wouldn't knock the V10, it's still a very good engine for a gasser.

·
I Wanna Go Fast!
4,006 Posts
stmline said:
That's only my :2cents to. I think I'am more scared to tune mine after all my problems with the last one and it was stock. I'am looking at doing exhaust and intake on nine but I need gauges frist. (from what Ive been told)
If your not getting a tuner and just getting exhaust and intake there is no need for gauges, those mods will only make everything breath better and run cooler not hotter.

·
Diesel Pro
899 Posts
I just hate v-10's after working on my girlfriends then she got a 7.3. I know 4 guys with 6.0's that have all the maintanance done at the dealership and it seems like they have problems like atleast once a month. Theirs are 03's and 04's though so if I only could choose between the two the 6.slow would work if it was like a 06 or 07 when all the kinks were worked out.

·
I Wanna Go Fast!
4,006 Posts
Macktruckdriver said:
I just hate v-10's after working on my girlfriends then she got a 7.3. I know 4 guys with 6.0's that have all the maintanance done at the dealership and it seems like they have problems like atleast once a month. Theirs are 03's and 04's though so if I only could choose between the two the 6.slow would work if it was like a 06 or 07 when all the kinks were worked out.
as far as egr crap and head gasgets there really isnt a difference. Tell your buddies to start doing it themselves might stop having problems. Six liters get a bad rap for no good reason.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Head studs will make a 6 liter live.

Oh and, I'd rather push my truck than drive a V10....

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
ive had some problems with mine but i always stick up for it when it comes to others bashing it. and i would take a problematic 6.0 over a v10 anyday.

Garrett

·
Registered
221 Posts
It depends on what you are planning on doing with the truck,

Ive drove both and from the seat of the pant they feel the same, I know when i was looking at the 07 SD, there was about $10K difference in them. I love a diesel truck, but i also love a big gas motor.

One thing to keep in mind is where are getting gas. I know i live in a small town but not ever station carries diesel so you have to plan a diesel stop.

I can tell you the V10 with 4:10 gear will do a heack of a smoke show. The dealer also said you can get the V10 with 4:30 gears :)

My good friend brad has the big block chevy, V8 but its 496ci. 8.1L his truck with 373 gears still gets 12.5 mpg in town.

·