The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i am in need of some help. wednesday afternoon i put the stock tune in my truck to move my 5th wheel to go camping today. I left the stock tune in because thats what i was planning on pulling the camper with so thursday morning heading to work i hear a whining sound like a supercharger. The more i press on the gas pedal the louder it gets. So i put a economy tune in it and it ran great. No whine or anything. Put the stock tune back in and it starts whining again. I have now power loss or anything. Runs great besides the whining sound. Could this be the turbo going out? Or is there something else i can look for? Somebody told me the turbo but i have no loss of power at all. Thanks guys!

·
1,661 Posts
Does whining only happen at certain rpm, or is it constant?
It could be the turbo, or one of the tentioner pullies. Also check power steering pump. Look and feel for excessive play.

·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I start to hear the whine at about 5 psi of boost and then as i press the gas pedal it gets louder. It could be making the sound sooner and i just cant hear it until it gets loud enough. When im in 5th gear and i push the pedal hard but not hard enough to shift it takes a second for the noise to kick in.

·
1,661 Posts
On the air filter side of the turbo, take off the tubing going to the turbo so you can see and feel the shaft and wheel. Look were the fins are almost touching the housing to see if thier is any scratches or scaring on the housing. To check the turbine shaft, try to wiggle the shaft up,down,left, and right. I believe they allow up to .022" of play. anything more than it's considered too much play. Also try to push and pull on the shaft in and out.

·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a extra turbo so im going to swap it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts