The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2002 7.3L DP Tuner
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody please help. I have a 2002 f250, it has a mild chip, afe2, and larger exhaust. It has 137k on the clock. I recently changed the injector cups about 6 months ago.

I went to a diesel mechanic, they did the computer testing, and the only issue was the # 8 injector. The other problems are losing coolant, and losing a ton of oil. I changed the oil on Monday and added 4 quarts on Friday morning. The truck is a pain to start in the mornings as well, or after sitting for many hours. I have replaced the cps (gray) and the IPS as well, but I did not replace the harness.

The mechanic thinks, it may be an improperly seated cup in that cylinder and possibly a bad injector also. Finally, the fuel filter is black, which support oil getting into the fuel.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and thanks in advance

·
Registered
49 Posts
Can somebody please help. I have a 2002 f250, it has a mild chip, afe2, and larger exhaust. It has 137k on the clock. I recently changed the injector cups about 6 months ago.

I went to a diesel mechanic, they did the computer testing, and the only issue was the # 8 injector. The other problems are losing coolant, and losing a ton of oil. I changed the oil on Monday and added 4 quarts on Friday morning. The truck is a pain to start in the mornings as well, or after sitting for many hours. I have replaced the cps (gray) and the IPS as well, but I did not replace the harness.

The mechanic thinks, it may be an improperly seated cup in that cylinder and possibly a bad injector also. Finally, the fuel filter is black, which support oil getting into the fuel.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and thanks in advance
With oil in the fuel, odds are it is an injector o-ring problem.

How much coolant is it loosing?

·
750 Posts
I would agree you have an injector O ring issue. maybe a cup was not seated right and after a few heat sokes it did and now you have a lose injector with a bad O ring.

Reactions: gratcliffe

·
2002 7.3L DP Tuner
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now to add insult to injury, it won't start at all. It won't even turn over. The batteries are good, the starter is good. I had everything tested. Yesterday it was dragging a bit on start up but it started, today nothing, I can hear the starter pinion throw out, but it won't turn the engine. Any suggestions ?

·
1,921 Posts
Sounds like injector o rings. And now it sounds like you've hydro locked it. Try baring it over by hand backwards to see if it will rotate. Then start pulling the glow plugs one by one trying to bar it over by hand between each one. when it starts turning over and you get a big shot of fluid out the glow plug hole you'll know which hole it is. Then pull that injector. I'd bet you either didn't get one of the injectors torqued right, you did use a torquue wrench to torque them didn't you? Or you had a copper chamber washer fall off the nozzle of one of the injectors which prevented proper injector seating/sealing.

Reactions: gratcliffe

·
2002 7.3L DP Tuner
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are a smart guy, I didn't use a torque wrench. I don't have time to fix. It sucks working on vehicles in Florida , especially when it's 90 degrees.

·
2002 7.3L DP Tuner
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another question, I'm thinking about upgrading my injectors to stage one's, since I need to pull them anyhow. I have a tuner from dp-tuner, do I need to have that chip reburned. It has a stock, 80hp tow, and 120 tune on it now ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Another question, I'm thinking about upgrading my injectors to stage one's, since I need to pull them anyhow. I have a tuner from dp-tuner, do I need to have that chip reburned. It has a stock, 80hp tow, and 120 tune on it now ?
Yes, you will have to have the tunes changed for stage 1 injectors. HERE is some info on that.

Let me know if you have any others questions.

·
1,921 Posts
It may suck but by skipping a step now you get to do it all over again. It's always quicker to do it right the first time. Not trying to bust your chops, just saying.

The truck will run with the programming you have now but will have some quirks. The timing will be pretty advanced due to your split shot timing you have in your truck now and the new injectors being single shots. So it won't be right but it'll run. Can't say I'd recommend running it that way very long so I would recommend getting your chip retuned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts