The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Levi
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when ever my truck sits over night wether its hot or cold outside when I start it up in the morning white smoke comes out of the exhaust and it stops when I start driving but if I let it sit in the driveway it will blow out white smoke for a good 30 mins... does any one know what would cause this? the truck has 279000 miles on it and there hasnt really been any work to the motor itself...

·
812 Posts
it could could just be cold cylinders

·
1,386 Posts
Could also be injector o-rings. I had the same problem until I replaced my injectors. Could be a glow plug not working and you've got a cold cylinder causing the white smoke. When my o-rings went bad I was told to use an additive like Stanadyne to help stop the smoking. It won't cure the problem but it did help reduce the smoke.

·
Levi
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
heres a link to a video i took of the white smoke when i started it up today...

i just replaced the glow plugs and relay ... so i dont think its a glow plug ..

·
Dually Club member #56
36 Posts
Definatly no expert, but I would guess its an injector issue. Looks like unburnt fuel smoke. I wouldn't think its that cold down in FL to be a glow-plug or cold cyclender issue. And in thirty minutes it should be warmed up reguradless of temps.

Just my 2-cents, Ol Red

·
1,386 Posts
Nice sounding truck. I love the sound of a straight piped 7.3. It does look like it could be an injector problem, the o-rings do wear out over time.

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
Injector

·
Registered
394 Posts
I cant help ya any but i hope ya find the the problem! GOOD LUCK IDWZLAW!

·
Levi
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tjl said:
Nice sounding truck. I love the sound of a straight piped 7.3. It does look like it could be an injector problem, the o-rings do wear out over time.

thanks i love the sound to:woot:

but thank for the help everyone

·
TDG MAFIA #101
390 Posts
I'm not trying to argue with anyone, but wouldn't unburnt fuel be black. I was always under the impression that white smoke meant something to do with coolant. If it was an injector o-ring, wouldn't that cause oil to be burnt. Doesn't burnt oil leave blue smoke. If someone could clear this up it would help me alot. Keep in mind I'm not saying anybodys wrong just would like to know.

·
442 Posts
That's the norm up here in the Northeast with 7.3's. Mine has, and every other one I've seen, in the cold temps puff white at start up. I have read thread where people blame the type of oil (Rotella specifically), and low cylinder temps.

Heck, the brand new John Deere diesel on my chipper puffs white till she clears and I know the GP on that thing are working. It'll start start in single digits.

·
TDG SinglesClub Member#90
497 Posts
First off that truck sounds badass, I guess im going to have to order a muffler delete this week(thanks a lot more money spent!!! haha).

As far as the white smoke goes, mine does the same thing. I'm pretty sure it is injector o-rings.

·
442 Posts
Shoot, shoulda read the whole thing. You said weather hot or cold, and your in Florida!

Ha, sorry!

·
strokin now cummin later!
1,116 Posts
im going with the injector problem. it smokes white to long for it to be glow plug problem. expecially when your out side in a t-shirt.
white smoke- raw fuel build up/ or cooling issue. (guessing thats not cuz u didnt say anything about overheating or loss of water.)
black smoke is unburnt fuel or half burnd fuel.
ever watch a pulling truck, lots of white smoke at first because of the large amout of fuel being bumped into the cylinders and not being burned at all. the the black smoke to roll out. thats when the fuel starts to get burned but not burned compleatly.

but that could also be blue smoke i couldn't really tell in the video. it looked white to me. but if its blue colored then i would bet on it being a injector o-ring.

does the exhaust smell like fuel and burn your eyes?
or does it kinda smell like oil burning?

oh yeah truck sounds good too:Thumbup:

·
1,386 Posts
Check the fuel in your fuel bowl. If it's black or dark colored that is a sign that your o-rings are bad also.

·
Levi
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
orangepstroke said:
but that could also be blue smoke i couldn't really tell in the video. it looked white to me. but if its blue colored then i would bet on it being a injector o-ring.

does the exhaust smell like fuel and burn your eyes?
or does it kinda smell like oil burning?

oh yeah truck sounds good too:Thumbup:
It does have a blueish tint to it and im not to sure what it exactly smells like but i know it doesnt smell good.. ill pay more attention to the smell next time i start it up..

tjl said:
Check the fuel in your fuel bowl. If it's black or dark colored that is a sign that your o-rings are bad also.
ill check the fuel bowl as well asap..

thanks

·
Levi
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright well i took my truck to the shop and they said the glow plug wiring harness was bad and thats what was causing the white smoke and making it hard to start... so hopefully that when i replace that it will fix my problem..

·
1,386 Posts
ldwzlaw said:
Alright well i took my truck to the shop and they said the glow plug wiring harness was bad and thats what was causing the white smoke and making it hard to start... so hopefully that when i replace that it will fix my problem..

I know how you feel. I've replaced both wiring harness plugs on the passenger side and I have to replace the valve cover gasket also, when the plug burnt up it fried the gasket too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts