The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Flyin' Hawaiian
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says i was just curious as to who else has limped thier truck. Today outside temp was 90 degrees and i was running the 275 tune. Went to pass and the truck limped and threw the P0088 code. Happened once more later in the afternoon as well. This has never happened on my 250 tune. Any input from Nutty would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

·
Spartan, True Performance
411 Posts
Have never had it, but this is what I found:

P0088 Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too High - This error will be set if the fuel pressure in the rail is too high and the controller cannot regulate it to the setpoint. - 20 % “overposition” of the PCV [% PWM] 3% deviation of the fuel rail pressure to the fuel rail pressure setpoint - Low pressure system, wiring to VCV and PCV, FUP sensor, pump.

·
91 Posts
I have it often when the temp is >75ish..... Like you, it happens to me most often when I go to pass another vehicle. One day after it happened several times I loaded the 210 to see if it would limp & I couldn't get it to. I run the 275, which I love but will not be able to use it when the temps heat up to the 100s here in SA. Have you limped your 250 or have you only done it w/ your 275? I've also had my FRP sensor replaced & it didn't fix the the issue. As previously mentioned, mine only limps when the temp gets warmer >75 degrees or so.........Anyone else limping???

·
2,183 Posts
not yet but i havent had my 275 in those temps

·
Spartan, True Performance
411 Posts
I run my 275 every day, and so far no problems at all. Have seen temperatures here reach 85 so far....

·
91 Posts
yeah but do you get on it hard? Meaning WOT several times in a row.

Mine wont do it on cooler temperature days no matter how hard I try. Only when the temp is >75ish do I have it happen.

·
91 Posts
I'm begining to think that the 275 might be too much on hotter temperture days. I know of 3 different trucks in San Antonio that have the 275 that have had this happen. One has NOT had it happen with his 250 though.

The day I got V3 of the 275 was hot. I defueled on the way home from work a few times & had hoped that after loading the new tune it wouldn't happen. It did & I logged it for the first time. I then loaded my 210 & ran it hard but it didn't defuel. The next thing I had done was having my FRP sensor replaced. The weather wasn't warm again for a couple weeks here in Texas & so I had hopes that replacing the sensor had fixed it. On my way home from a buddies ranch in west Texas towing my ranger & some other stuff I went to pass a car. I had the pedal to the ground & was almost around them (only going about 75mph to pass) & the truck defueled, slowing me down instantly. Luckily, they slowed down to allow me to get over & i did my usual routine of putting it in neutral, turning it off & starting it back up while driving. Outside air temp was 91º that afternoon. After I dropped the trailer off, I defueled 2 more times on the way home & have been on every hot day we've had if I get on my truck.

I wouldn't say that there is something wrong with the tune itself, just that it throws the code & defuels the engine on the hot days.....

I'm going to ask Spartan if they'll send me a 250 tune I can test. I love the 275, but cant run it on hot days which will only get more & more often as summer comes.

·
61 Posts
We have a work truck doing the samething but its completly stock. If you get on it and try to go over 70 it goes in limp mode and throws the P0088 code

·
91 Posts
I talked to Matt today & he seems to think it could be my low pressure fuel pump. So, I will have mine replaced soon. I will let yall know the outcome.

·
63 Posts
I talked to Matt today & he seems to think it could be my low pressure fuel pump. So, I will have mine replaced soon. I will let yall know the outcome.
That sounds kinda strange. How could a bad low pressure pump cause the rail pressure to be too high? :confused:

·
Flyin' Hawaiian
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If thats the case both Mayo and I will have FASS pumps soon so we will let yall know if it fixes things.

·
Registered
270 Posts
That sounds kinda strange. How could a bad low pressure pump cause the rail pressure to be too high? :confused:
When low pressure fuel drops going into the HPFP, the volume and pressure controls compensate quickly in an attempt to maintain pressure; and frequently overreact/overshoot resulting in the code, which is typically triggered quite quickly.

This only happens assuming there is still some flow through the low pressure system. A total lack of flow will result in a low pressure code and/or no start or run.

·
91 Posts
When low pressure fuel drops going into the HPFP, the volume and pressure controls compensate quickly in an attempt to maintain pressure; and frequently overreact/overshoot resulting in the code, which is typically triggered quite quickly.

This only happens assuming there is still some flow through the low pressure system. A total lack of flow will result in a low pressure code and/or no start or run.
UPDATE---

I have the FASS installed on my truck & it still will limp just like it did before.....

·
278 Posts
My buddy has the 275 on his truck raced a Tundra the other night and the truck went into Limp mode as well??

I have not had this problem yet but only run the 210 my 6spd (clutch) would not like the 275!! It will slip when I hammer the 210 to hard!

·
91 Posts
My buddy has the 275 on his truck raced a Tundra the other night and the truck went into Limp mode as well??

I have not had this problem yet but only run the 210 my 6spd (clutch) would not like the 275!! It will slip when I hammer the 210 to hard!

what was the ambient temp? ask him if he's seen it before. did it throw the code? or just limp?

thanks

·
278 Posts
It was probably 70 +/- degrees out. He didn't check for codes but the CEL didn't come on it just went into limp mode. He pulled over shut it off and fired right back up. Just wierd huh?? It has not done it before?

·
91 Posts
thats what mine does mostly......has happened a few times @ 65 degrees after the truck has warmed up.....but when its above 75-80 I can make it happen pretty much @ will.....

·
61 Posts
UPDATE---

I have the FASS installed on my truck & it still will limp just like it did before.....

Update---

Took our work truck in for this also, they replaced the fuel filters and said it was good to go. On the drive home truck went into limp mode. Brought it back to them they took it for a test drive and got it to do it as well. When the mechanic pulled it in from the test drive they never shut it off, they hooked it up to there scanner and after looking at everything they said it was the HPFP. we got it back last week and it hasnt gone into limp mode yet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts