3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have herd of this before. I know of a friend and his father has been using Acetone in his vehicles for a year now. Apparently hasn't had any problems. It makes sense in that it breaks down the surface tension of the fuel. I do that with chemicals when I spray fields. I would like to see some results for diesel fuel. 15 to 30 percent increase in MPG can't hurt now.

·
793 Posts
Just go to the other site for ford diesels TDS, there was a group of people over there testing this theory and posting their results. Don't know if they're still doing it or not but would be in the archives.

·
Quest for 13s on 35s!!
190 Posts
I did that in my Chevy gasser and could get a bout 1 mpg better. Put it in my wifes Stratus and got about 3mpg better. It worked for them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I ran it in my '98 4x4 12V for a few tanks on the way out to SEMA. It's hard to tell, due to different qualities of fuel, but I think it made a significant difference. Engine sure didn't want to smoke any more. I got close to 19 MPG on one tank of fuel, running 80MPH all day. Since running out, the mileage has dropped back to 17-17.5, still running about 80 MPH all day long.

If I can find a hardware store in Houston area, I'll pick up some more and see what happens on the way back to VA.

Only weird thing is it causes Diesel Power cetane boost to become cloudy.

N

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have done a little looking around on this. It seems that it can help but one of the biggest problems I see is that you need to keep a tab on how much you use. It is possible to get to much in your tank and can have a reverse affect. If that happens then I could see a potential for problems. I could be the fears that some people have stated but an once or two to fourty gallons couldn't hert. I was thinking of a way to keep control of the mix but havent come up with one yet other then a fuel pod in the back and pump it dry before you add more. You could then keep the same amount in it. but unless you keep good track of your milage you wont know.

·
Super limo owner
1,122 Posts
my friend works at GE and he was talking to them most of them do it so he did it with his ranger and got wores just because you not sposted to use that much well he had the idea that if littles good a lot will be better. so as long as you use the right amount you will be fine

·
Registered
11 Posts
I guess you could try to add it to your tank at fill up but you will need to be alittle percise in your mix. if you carry a seringe and add it accordingly. it is a bid of a hassel but if it works. it can make a difference as to much or to little. if you maintain a accruate amout you could addjust for the best effect. so vehicles do great on a 1oz to ten gallon and some on 3 oz. And if you add injector cleaner it can have a adverse effect. if you don't take care you will waste your money.

at least that is my 2cents...

·
1,055 Posts
Read the artical $8000 for injectors :shrug: Damn. :umno:

·
Registered
1 Posts
going to try it out

my name is branden from peoria, IL i have a 05 Superduty with 6.0L I am going to try the acetone, i am taking a long trip and i am going to monitor how well it performs on mileage compaired to normal. I will post with the results when i get back or if i dont make it back i will let you know it didnt work j/k haha

·
Super limo owner
1,122 Posts
Its not a big deal people around here have been doing it for a while. You don't add to much or it will kill your fuel mileage

in gas cars that is

·
Registered
13 Posts
We use acetone at work and I can get all I want for free. I have a spreadsheet on my truck since new in Nov. 2005. With all the variables I think it might be hard to tell but I can give it a try.

2006 F250 Powerstroke 6.0L. How much per gallon should I start with?

·
Registered
113 Posts
How much for my duramaxx ? I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was running 8oz/30gal of Power Service Diesel Kleen (Grey Bottle). Recommended dosage is 16oz. I increased from 8oz to 16oz on the last two tanks and seem to have lost 1mpg or a little more. Will go back to 8oz on next tank.

Anyone have similar results?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts