The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
4,827 Posts
There are a couple of guys around here with bags on their Dodge trucks. Have a trailer on them pretty much all of the time.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd like to get them, but the thing I don't like is if you lose your air, supposedly it ruins them. Any truth to that?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have Firestones, for the most part in the winter they are generally totally flat, I haven't hurt one yet. I have enough leaks in my lines that it is hard to keep air in them during the cold months. During the summer when the plastic lines are more plyale I can keep around 5psi in them when they are not in use.

·
4,827 Posts
I dump the bags all of the time on the big truck when hooking up a loaded trailer. I back part way under, inflate the bags and it takes the weight off of the jack legs before the kingpin makes the trailer slide one way or another if you aren't lined up perfectly.

Also dump the bags on the grain trailer, since the ride control valve can't exhaust the air fast enough when unloading.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bmoeller, I think these air bags might be different since they are not the primary suspension source like on the big trucks we have. Airbag suspensions have rubber blocks for stoppers.

With the ride rites, I read somewhere that if you let them go flat, then put the truck on a lift for repairs, the bag can get streched out so much it'll rip or pop.

·
4,827 Posts
Well, if put it on that kind of lift, you could always chain the axle to the frame so the bags won't get stretched like that.....................

Saw a guy do something like that on a grain trailer once. Apparently didn't have a dump valve. Welded log chain to the rear of the spring and the steel sub frame. Works like limiting straps on a rock crawler.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Duke you don't have to worry about over extending them. They would over extend with air in them or without air. The shocks keep the suspension from drooping too far. I ran a pair for 100,000 miles on an F150 with anywhere from 0 air to 60 lbs. They are pretty tough. Sure nice on a truck without enough spring to set level loaded.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My goal is to gain back some ride height when hooked to a heavy (~12K) trailer. I lost a lot of pin weight with my utility body being so full of equipment. I only have 1,800lbs of legal pin weight left for trailer.

I was hoping they also give you back more stability on the *** end.

·
4,827 Posts
The bags should do that for ya. Maybe some heavier sway bars are in order, too? Help control body roll. Better quality shocks would make some difference.

F

·
0 Posts
I run the FIrestone bags on the dually, no problems. I run them flat 99% of the time.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fordt said:
I run the FIrestone bags on the dually, no problems. I run them flat 99% of the time.
Wayne,

How do you like them? Do they really give your azz end a little lift with a trailer? Do they add stability & control?

Anythingthat you don't like about them?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Duke, the Firestone RideRites if I remember right really helped the F150. I had a 105 gallon tank, tool box, and usually 500 lbs of junk so the truck was loaded empty. Pretty much set level with no trailer. Add 1,000 of tongue weight and it was sagging bad. About 50 lbs of air would set it level again and it pretty much drove the same as empty other than struggling on the hills with the extra 7K in tow. You must have a load on your one ton!! I run about 4K on the pin with my F350 with a 110 gallon fuel tank in bed and a box full of junk. 4K sets her about level. I have considered pure air ride for the F350 though. At least it wouldn't be *** high empty all the time! Guess it all depends on what springs the factory saw fit to include. I think you would be happy with that set of 5K "super duty" bags Firestone has for 3/4 and one tons.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
johndear720 said:
Duke, the Firestone RideRites if I remember right really helped the F150. I had a 105 gallon tank, tool box, and usually 500 lbs of junk so the truck was loaded empty. Pretty much set level with no trailer. Add 1,000 of tongue weight and it was sagging bad. About 50 lbs of air would set it level again and it pretty much drove the same as empty other than struggling on the hills with the extra 7K in tow. You must have a load on your one ton!! I run about 4K on the pin with my F350 with a 110 gallon fuel tank in bed and a box full of junk. 4K sets her about level. I have considered pure air ride for the F350 though. At least it wouldn't be *** high empty all the time! Guess it all depends on what springs the factory saw fit to include. I think you would be happy with that set of 5K "super duty" bags Firestone has for 3/4 and one tons.
Would you know what I mean by "Image is everything" when towing? If you butt is sagging, the cops think you're overloaded. I would think the airbags would make a lot of cops think the load looks "legal" if the truck looks leveled out with airbags.

Once I hook a 12K trailer to my truck, it looks pretty saggy since I have a lot of weight in my boxes.

Do they make the truck more stable, too?

·
2,126 Posts
I run them on our excursion and they are the cat's meow, I would high recommend them. They make towing much more stable.

·
1,836 Posts
I've got a Kelderman rear shackle air bags, the were flat when I got the truck - the air lines were ripped out. It took about 1k miles to get to the repairs and they have held 20# for almost a year. Trailer is about 500 on the ball so I don't make a change for local.

I would guess that running flat is no problem.

If yours is wallowing because the load is on the out side it needs a sway or stabiliser bar, if it has one then it is to small. If the rear springs have negative arch the bags will help stability. If you are not level side to side the air bags can be seperated to use different pressure to get it level.

Most common cause of directional instability is the change in castor when the rear settles - that is a fix with air bags.

I saw the bags for $49 in a street rod mag a while back along with weld on brackets and electric controls.

keydl

·
142 Posts
Yea they are worth the money!! They help with sag,stability, ride and looks. I have never had the 80 psi max in mine but i have had 4000 lbs in the bed and still looking level. Had mine for 75K no problems. We just put a set on Dads 08 LLM and he loves it. We spent the extra money on his and got the compressor, incab switch and gauge.That is really nice, you can ajust the air pressure on the fly as you need, i would recommend any body getting it to spend the extra money for the on board controls

·
304 Posts
I run the Firestone bags on my Excursion. They add about 1.5" in ride height when inflated to 50 psi. I can tow my toy hauler with no sag in the rear at all with the bags. One thing I have noticed though, they are bouncy on bumps and such. They are not steel spring stiff obviously since their "air" bags. I don't like the bouncy feeling so I just ordered some rancho 9000xl 9 way adjustable shocks to counter the bouncing on bumps. I will set them at 9 and that should really contain the bouncing! I am running stock shocks so I hope these shocks help! Will let you know.........They are definitely awesome for the money!

·
85 Posts
duke what is the difference in the rear suspension with a 3500srw vs 2500HD?

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
scooch said:
duke what is the difference in the rear suspension with a 3500srw vs 2500HD?
There's an extra thick leaf in the spring pack and a 1,000 lb increase in GVWR.

In looking at the airbag kits, I noticed they make one with air adjusted shocks for the front! That's really cool. The thing I'm concerned about is I wonder if the front shocks ride crappy? I think they're Bilsteins with an air line run back to the compressor. I trust the Bilstiens, but I wonder if your screwed if the air supply goes flat, do the shocks go flat?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts