The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The main reason I bought a diesel was that they outlast gassers if taken care of properly.
Ive heard 300,000 mile rumors with diesels but how does that stack up with the 6.0L?

Anyone getting close?

Did you replace every part on your 6.0L twice to get there?

:popcorn:

·
Registered
415 Posts
had one come through last week 295000 miles never touched except for recalls 03 model had me replace all 8 injectors and fuel pump he said it was cheap insurance to last another 300000 we will see

·
Registered
94 Posts
My 03 has 282766 on the clock, the only trouble i had with it is injectors up untill 2 weeks ago. I put in all 8 injectors oil cooler, ipr valve,icp,glow plugs,cleaned turbo and 4in. exhaust and coolant filter system and return reg. fuel system.
I think i been very lucky considering it is an 03 model.:woot:

·
TDG Mafia #76
2,542 Posts
Grandpa's play truck was at 279K when he sold it...it was an early 04...zero problems with it, and I loved that truck...

·
3,051 Posts
These postings with high mileage 6.0's are very good news to me. It goes to show that these motors can be durable. And gives me some hope that I may get longevity from my truck. So much negative has been said over the years about our trucks, that these reports are very encouraging.

·
2,035 Posts
I'm at 113k right now. One blown EGR cooler along the way. Running tuned out to the max since 5k miles and still pulling strong as the day I bought her.

·
2,035 Posts
Also my dad has right at 100k miles. Rotella is the only oil he's ever used which is supposed to tear the 6.0 up. He's changed his fuel filters one time in 100k miles. He been running on a Superchips tuner since about 10k miles.

He's never been in the shop once.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Just had a crew cab dually 05`my in my shop for 1 injector and installed an Sct with a custom tow file. She had 470,000 on the ticker... Original motor and transmission.

·
1,660 Posts
Wow, and those dodge guys say we cant milage out of a 6.0

·
Registered
368 Posts
BogginF350 said:
Just had a crew cab dually 05`my in my shop for 1 injector and installed an Sct with a custom tow file. She had 470,000 on the ticker... Original motor and transmission.

All I can say is WOW !!

Not that I ever doubted they were capable of higher miles, but damn near half a million......

That's all I would get out my B series Cummins before something let go.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
HD_F250 said:
Rotella is the only oil he's ever used which is supposed to tear the 6.0 up.
Wow, really? I use Rotella. I didn't know it was bad on these motors. :popcorn:

·
300 H&amp ;amp ;amp ;amp ;
54 Posts
HD_250,

You should explain why and where you heard Rotella will "tear-up" a 6.0L. This how ugly rumors and out right lies are spread with off the cuff remarks, and no supporting evidence. Rotella is WIDELY used in MANY diesel engines and I am pretty sure that in the owners manual it meets Ford's engine oil requirements. Not to mention you know someone running it with no problems. I'm not "flaming" you at all, just Need more information as to why you stated this. Best reguards Kirk

·
2,035 Posts
300 H&H said:
HD_250,

You should explain why and where you heard Rotella will "tear-up" a 6.0L. This how ugly rumors and out right lies are spread with off the cuff remarks, and no supporting evidence. Rotella is WIDELY used in MANY diesel engines and I am pretty sure that in the owners manual it meets Ford's engine oil requirements. Not to mention you know someone running it with no problems. I'm not "flaming" you at all, just Need more information as to why you stated this. Best reguards Kirk
#1 My dealer I bought the truck from said not to use Rotella in the truck unless it was Rotella synthetic. My buddy bought his truck from a different dealer and they also told him specifically not to use Rotella oil.

#2 Most of the vendors I've talked to said it was about the worse oil for the 6.0.

That's enough for me...I won't use the stuff. I use the Valvoline Premium Blue. I have used the Rotella synthetic before, but I won't touch the regular stuff...

Hey, if you like the stuff, keep on using it...Doug told me one time when trucks would come in that had injector problems he would ask them right off the bat if they had been running Rotella...he said most of the trucks that had bad injectors had been running regular Rotella. :shrug:

·
706 Posts
The 6.0 PSD hitting 300-400K shouldnt be a big deal,they all should do it if they are stock and maintained correctly,just as I hope every Cummins and Duramax will. To be honest,most gas engines run 3-400K miles easily now too. I know of V10 and 5.4 Fords with 400K+ on them, 4.6 tritons in taxis with 700K,450K 8.1 GM's in pickups,4.3V6 Gms with 500K.It really isnt the big deal it used to be.

As for the oilRotella used to be cheap,it isnt anymore,so why run it,when Chevron Delo,Mobil Delvac,Shaeffers,and Lucas are all better oils,and not much more money. On top of that it stinks for a long time after you change the oil,it has a nasty smell to it from the breather,smells like its burning oil,but it isnt.If i ever had a 6.0 PSD,the only oil I would run is Shaeffers 7000 or 9000 supreme,I love there oils,and nothing will make a 6.0 last longer than the best oils.

·
1,660 Posts
ive heard the rottela rumor as well. Ive heard that its bad for the injectors not the engine.

·
300 H&amp ;amp ;amp ;amp ;
54 Posts
LSU,

I bought my truck used at a dodge dealer ship it was traded to (some body got a Dodge diesel instead?), So thank you for your information as I was about to put Rotella in the case! I have not talked to the Ford or the Navastar guys about the brand of oil to use, but like the two stroke oil I learned about here I will be heading your advice. Thanks Kirk

1 - 20 of 72 Posts