The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question about the starter on my 7.3. When I start it up, the starter will hit every time and start the truck, but when the truck starts, the starter will free-spin after the truck starts for a brief 1/2 second or so. It's almost if the starter disengages right after starting, then the electric motor spins an extra half second or so. I know the starter has been replaced, and when looking underneath it has a label on it as being a rebuilt starter, and it looks fairly new. I am just wanting to know if this is normal, or I need to go ahead and swap it out? My 6.0 starter, and the starter on the duramax didnt do this, but its been too long to remember the 7.3. I cant remember it doing this either. I did hear another 7.3 do this the other day, so I am thinking it may be a cheap starter or something. Thanks for the help.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
sounds like a soliniod problem thats were id look

·
Diesel Enthusiast
234 Posts
It may also be possible that the ignition switch is hanging up internally for a few seconds after you let up on it from cranking, does it feel sticky at all? The bendix may be kicking out when the engine starts and the electric motor is still spinning.

·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ignition switch does not feel to be sticking at all. If i understood the operation better of the starter motor, solenoid, and bendix, I might be able to troubleshoot it. The starter stops cranking as soon as the truck fires, but the electric motor sounds like it continues to run for another second or so.

·
TDG Mafia #95
1,071 Posts
It sounds as if the bendix is sticking. What I think is happening is the starter is hanging on the ring gear of the flywheel/flexplate. I'm not an expert on starters by any means, but I would suspect that its time for a new starter.

·
928 Posts
How long ago was it replaced vs. how long has it been doing this? Perhaps it needs a few shims?

·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont know how long ago it was replaced. I just bought the truck, and the previous owner told me it had been replaced. That's all I got. Hmm

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
replaced? hmm is it an oem starter? i mean a ford/IH one? i agree with bills fan i would shim it. the bendix gear is the part that flys out into the flywheel/flexplate when yr truck starts it slides back out. just fyi

·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, it doesnt look to be an oem starter, that was my concern. It looks to be an aftermarket rebuild. I am half tempted to just order a ford oem starter and slap it in there. I have it in at a shop now to do a front end alignment and I asked them to look at it at tell me what they think. Thanks for all the help guys. At this point, I am kind of assuming that it is a POS aftermarket starter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts