The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have ever wondered if investing $3-600 in either a simple Nictane Kit or a full blown AirDogII or FASS fuel filter system was worth it..these pictures may just sway you to do so. The reason I did so, was to delay or totally prevent having to replace the below two items at some point.

Injectors are likely $2500 per set of 8 + install-labour
Injector Pump (CP3) is likely 1500-2000 + install-labour.

Which would you prefer to do..??

I use a smaller Stanadyne System that uses a 5 mU filter in a POST OEM configuration. It is mounted in the engine bay.

I don't know what the filtering efficiency of the OEM filters are, but would suggest they do not do a very good job of stopping those particulates (5-12mU), that are the very evil little things that wear out the fuel system components.!

These have been in the truck until I hit 50% on my DIC. I am going to say that is only about 18-20,000km..! Needless to say, I am glad I have that little extra filter. I had recently bought a fiter head and large CAT filter from Toromont CAT here in Barrie but have yet to install...seeing these filters has put that mod to the front of the priority list. (I'm just torn between Doing the Nictane one + a lift pump or going full hog with an AirDogII)....DROOL big time..!!

Rgds,

stk

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
I'd go for the Air Dog 2. I would have gone with the airdog but I couldn't find a dealer around here so I went with the fass. My truck has a bit more go now.

·
3,533 Posts
I spent a lot of money building my new shop, so I may have to wait a bit, but what I want to do is install a Davco 233 filter set up and put in a low pressure boost pump on the outlet 1 or 2 lbs, to shut offs, in and out. The filter is great, and you only change it when it gets dirty. In class eights if it was factory installed the injector warranty was extended. Fleetguard makes a similar unit and has great filters for these. You can go to their web site and they have a video.

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
i have no idea how the factory fuel system is set up, so bear with me....can you run the bigger suction kit out of the tank, into an airdog 2 and run that into the CP3 pump? just delete the whole factory setup on the pickup side?:wiggle

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
why delete the factory pickup? thats whats great about the airdogII on the dmax, you keep the whole factory pickup and you dont sacrifice the last 1/4 tank....., i cant see why the factory unit wouldnt flow enough for anything you plan on doing with the truck....

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Steakman, is that just straight diesel through those filters or are you running any additives?

·
Registered
42 Posts
GM filter is 3 micron. I use an inline water blocker filter between my auxilary slip tank and my main tank and only fuel up into it.
Believe me, it catches alot of crap!!

·
Administrator
12,738 Posts
why delete the factory pickup? thats whats great about the airdogII on the dmax, you keep the whole factory pickup and you dont sacrifice the last 1/4 tank....., i cant see why the factory unit wouldnt flow enough for anything you plan on doing with the truck....
Which fuel pump / filter makes you remove the factory pickup tube?

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
well they dont make you remove it, you just abandon it but you drill a hole in your tank to install a feed tube with the old airdogI and FASS, the AirdogII uses the factory pickup assembly for dmax trucks, i was just curious as to why anyone would prefer to drill holes in their perfectly fine fuel tank if they could just hook the pump up to the stock locations...

·
dieselgeezer
18 Posts
I did a little hose re-routing and installed a Racor filter with a primer pump. My step-son, a TIG welder and sprint-car frame builder, fabricated a stainless heavy bracket that bolts onto the boss intended for the aux. alternator. My stock filter now serves as the pre-filter and the new Racor is the final filter at 2 microns. Diesel fuel can't be too clean! Oh, I also added the Amsoil bypass filter with billet adapters and a chemically treated coolant bypass filter. Am I anal or what?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts