The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive looked at a couple and they seem to be more expensive then a trailer...why?

·
1,709 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. Maybe because there compact design:confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would guess that it's the structure required to built a box that sits in a pickup with a queen size bed suspended over the cab and a bathroom hanging over the rear bumper. Trailers are just wood boxes bolted to a steel frame. Most truck campers have an aluminum welded box frame that can withstand the abuse of being hauled around all day in a pick up bed. I think that is why there are so few manufacturers and why they are more expensive.
On the up side, no wheels, no registration and no road tax. And I don't think i would take a travel trailer off roading. just my thoughts.

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
Because they can

·
2,126 Posts
Yea when I was comparing the two its crazy how much they want for a camper.

·
29 Posts
Alot of it has to do with the fact that they crammed the living space into an area that slides into the bed of your truck. They also re-enforce everything 10 fold to support riding around in the truck. Also, like was mentioned.. No registration needed, and maintenance is less on the camper than it would be on a TT...
Scott

·
5,365 Posts
the REAL reason theyre pricey is because of the TINY market theyre in !

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
Alot of it has to do with the fact that they crammed the living space into an area that slides into the bed of your truck. They also re-enforce everything 10 fold to support riding around in the truck. Also, like was mentioned.. No registration needed, and maintenance is less on the camper than it would be on a TT...
Scott
It depends on what state you are in if registration is needed. Oregon does require campers to be registered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts