The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Separate issues. First I am curious why the 01's howl. Mine is a dually and my friends is a single. They both howl at low speed turns. Second is the issue of turning the wheel when the brakes are applied. Let me say this is a real bother when you have a trailer you need to hook up or back up. It only happens when you are at a complete stop and trying to turn. As soon as you let off the brakes it turns. Oh and they are both 4x4.

·
3,514 Posts
Don't really know what howl you are talking about, so I'll just try to answer the other question.

The power brakes on these trucks use a hydro boost system as opposed to the vacuum boost system on older trucks. The easiest way to get pressurized fluid to the hydro booster, to assist in braking, is to steal it from the power steering pump. If you fluid level is low, or your pump isn't operating as it should, you will have trouble with this. Once you are rolling, the wheels don't need to turn nearly as far to make most the turns you want to. So check your power steering fluid and see how that is. Anyways, the systems are tied together and that is why that happens.
Sean

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Sean. I am familliar with the hydroboost system principals from my 90' GMC dually. I never had this problem before. I will check the fluid level. I haven't checked it in a couple of fill ups. The howl is just a hydraulic whine from lines or the pump. It has been howling since I bought it. It just started the brake thing. I believe my buddy has changed his pump already. I need check. I haven't heard it from outside, only inside so I'm not sure if it really is coming from the pump.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
The Hydoboosts on these like howl when they are really cold. I know you didn't mention that, and it's probably not the case. But when you start it below -10 to -20 they will howl most of the time unless you use sythetic.

Do you know if it's the same kind of howl, if so, it might lead you toward your answer if you talk to someone that knows alot about these.

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No Philly it is not the temperature. IT has done it before the cold started. Do you know of any filters or other items that may form a restriction if not maintained regularly on Dodges? I have not been able to ask this guy if his pump has been changed or not. I kindof leaning toward fluid exchange, flush. At least see what happens. Not sure what the fluid is in there. I ran tranny fluid in my GMC hydro. Worked out very well.

·
348 Posts
I use Valvoline SynPower , Power steering fluid. It got rid of the howl and it never came back. FYI. It has a conditioner in it and can be bought at walmart. K Mart etc. The way I wrote it kinda makes it sound like hair shampoo.LOL

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So how long has it been since you did this?

·
3,514 Posts
Ok, now I know the howl/whine you're talking about. Yeah mine does that too. I'm trying to remember if it does it when braking, or just when turning. I'll have to compare against my buddy's 01. I know the steering gearbox has some flex in it and tends to twist a little when you turn the wheels, eventually damaging the sector shaft. He has a brace to eliminate that, so I'd like to see if that makes a difference. However, if you say the fluid changed the sound, that kind of shoots down my ideas.
Sean

·
348 Posts
Yes the fluid changed the sound. My Mech sad it has something to do with the cold fluid getting thicker. Than the pump has to pump harder and the thicker fluid makes the unit howl or scream like my ex when the check is late.:cry:

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The cold is not a factor. It will do this in warm weather after a 90 mile interstate drive.

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right now I need to do the fluid flush. Still would like to know why it has to not steer when braking. Doesn't seem like it should do this. Remember it only does it when brakes applied first. And at low to no speed.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
I've never had a problem with it howling... I wonder why???

A: Because every 30K miles which is about 1 once a year my power steering fluid is drained, flushed, and reload with fresh...

This is one of the hidden maintenance items that is NOT listed in the owners manual. But if you ask a dealer tech it should be done every 30K miles... :sly:

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks MOPAR. What is the recommended fluid. Only one that has come up in this hred is Syntech.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
nattygasmech said:
Thanks MOPAR. What is the recommended fluid. Only one that has come up in this hred is Syntech.
I use good ol' Super Tech Power Steering fluid from Wal-Mart... Never had a problem with it...

·
TDG Mafia Member #45
296 Posts
i had this problem.

have you checked it running? if so did the oil look foamy?

somebody told me if the oil looked black and foamy. the oil had gotten oxygenated and needed to be changed. its sounds dumb:crazy:, but it work.

something about the fluid carrying air bubbles. watch makes it act like it has no fluid.

so, in a nutshell change your fluid and see what happens:shrug:

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
New power sterring fluid should be a very clear looking fluid with a bluish tint. It should be without a odor really...

But after 20-30K miles power steering fluid will get brown color and a burnt smell to it. This is the time to change it. Remember this fluid is the lubricant for the power steering pump, steering box, and hydro-booster for the brakes. You should change this fluid at 30K miles or anytime the fluid becomes dark brown with a burnt smell...

It not just you steering involved here but your brakes too!

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is the truth. Have you ever tried to stop a truck like this with a trailer and no brakes. Let me say it is a task. Have to pretty much trust that the trailer has enough brakes when manually engaged. I knew this but thanks for the good info. I'm glad to have it posted that will help someone who has not turned many wrenches. So far I have not been able to flush the system. I haven't even had the hood up since this thread was started. In fact I may have only driven it once since.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
nattygasmech said:
That is the truth. Have you ever tried to stop a truck like this with a trailer and no brakes. Let me say it is a task. Have to pretty much trust that the trailer has enough brakes when manually engaged. I knew this but thanks for the good info. I'm glad to have it posted that will help someone who has not turned many wrenches. So far I have not been able to flush the system. I haven't even had the hood up since this thread was started. In fact I may have only driven it once since.
Some people don't like my method of flushing but it works for me.

Pull a return line from the P/S pump. Plug the nipple on the P/S pump. Now fill the system full. Extend the return line down to a waste bucket. Start the truck and rock the steering lightly for about 2-3 seconds and shutdown the engine. You'll here the P/S pump run out quickly. Now reload with fluid and do it for 3-5 more cycles till the fluid is clear. Re-hook the return line to the P/S pump and reload with P/S fluid...

Take about 30 minutes to do...:Thumbup:

This will insure that the entire system is flushed. Compared to pumping the reservoir dry and re-filling. This WILL not flush the system and contaminates the new fluid with old stuff in the sterring gear box and Hydro boost...

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yup that was how I was thinking. There is a lot more in the lines than some think. Need to get that stuff out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts