The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last couple of months if I don't let my truck warm up and just get in and go, it acts as if it is running out fuel. It will cut off and then i have to cycle the pump a couple of times to get it started again. Any ideas would be helpful.:thanks:

·
645 Posts
check your oil???
does it shut right off like you turned the key off or spit and sputter then finally die?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It spits and sputters and then shuts off. I usually run dp tune on 60hp so when it started to cut out I turned iit to 140hp and it acted as if was going to clear up. But it ultimately shut off. So my thinking is it is fuel related. But Idonno?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah the oil is fine.

·
237 Posts
Does it do it on every start or just the first start of the day when it's cold? Also, any codes?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No not on every start just when the engine is cold. Ihaven't checked the codes. Ill have to do that tomorrow.

·
strokin now cummin later!
1,116 Posts
have you had your cps changed? changed your fuel filter? have you tried it with the chip off?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not changed the cps yet. I thought it might have been the filter o so I changed it a couple of weeks ago. As for the chip I turned to the stock setting and it made it worse. So then i changed to the 140 and it seemed to get better. But still shut off.

·
1,116 Posts
maybe the fuel pump..... i dunno if a chip turns the fuel pump harder or not. i dont think it does though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If were the fuel pump Iwould think it would do it all the time. The tuner turned on 140 seems to put more fuel in the system for a second hence the clear up before it shuts off.

·
1,116 Posts
it makes me think that since it does it when its cold it could have something to do with the oil system that drives the injectors. the oil is thicker when its cold and cant get enough pressure to drive the injectors properly. then when it warms up the oil gets thinner and works fine. but im not real sure what to check besides the oil or fuel pressure

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So you think it could be the hpop? Im due for an oil change. Maybe it might get better with that. Who knows.

·
1,116 Posts
not necessaly the hpop.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can get a 1/4 mile down the road before it starts to act up. If it were the hpop leak down it would not start due to the sensor. Had that happen to me on my 4900 International dt 530 dump truck. Cost me 100ducks to replace the perfectly fine old sensor!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I use rotella oil.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Going to get some zzzzzsssss now.

·
833 Posts
I would go with IPR o-rings as the likely problem. They typically manifest themselves as a hard hot start problem but when the o-rings are bad then the IPR has a hard time regulating the injection pressure.

It is possible that the retaining nut on the IPR has worked its way loose.

The nut is an easy fix and takes 5 minutes. The o-rings are more time consuming at least on my OBS they were because you need to loosen the fuel bowl to allow the IPR to come out of it's socket.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well Ill check those out this weekend. Hopefully that will take care of the problem.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts